looking for info on Bill Lawrence P46

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Peter Kaae, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Peter Kaae

Peter Kaae

Oct 10, 2004
    I have searched the threads for info about the P46 Bill Lawrence pickup, since I need a good replacement pickup at a fair price, but there´s not much about it,,anyone owns one or tried one, maybe could share some info.
    I´m looking for a bass´ier tone than the stock fender mia vin-reissue pickup, but not as agressive as the seymour duncan spb3 quarter pounder, which I bought and installed, but did not like:-(
    I´d like to keep the thumpy oldschool pbass tone, but slightly fatter.

2. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That's something I'd like to know too. You can't get much info at the Lawrence forum. Somebody here must use this pickup.
  3. I had a long phone conversation with Bill Lawrence quite awhile back. Brilliant man, for sure. He gave me a huge education into P and J construction, and why they are so radically different.

Bill is a 'purist' in a lot of respects. He does not build any accentuation into his pickups. He believes the tonal changes are in the hands, not in the pickup.

I'd expect the P46 to be a clear, even response pickup without a distinguishing 'character'. In a single word, I'd quantify the pickup as 'honest.'

You can probably get a lot closer to classic Motown thump (Jamerson) by placing foam blocks under the strings at the bridge. Thump is apparently a rapid decay and lack of sustain. Dead flatwounds and foam blocks will do this quite nicely. Both can be removed when you want a different sound.
  4. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Bill told me the P pickups are much like the J pickups, as he told Mr Gavin. I have the J and it really will assume any character you want (within reason) using your hands and your string choices and your electronics. I'd liken it to the lamented "transparent" Lane Poors only with better output for passive use. That's a recommendation : }
  5. bkief1

Dec 25, 2005
    I have a P-46 in my DiPinto Galaxie 4-string bass. What a tremendous sound! Thumpy, yet clean/distinct and not at all muddy. In the directions you'll see a diagram to wire it in with a series-parallel switch or install only in series (this is what I opted for based on what I am now playing). A series connection provides a "full-power bass" sound, while the parallel will provide "bright clean highs". Down the road, I can install the switch if I so choose.

If you opt for a P-46, Bill recommends 250K audio taper pots and a 0.1 micro farad cap. The P-46, as with all BL pickups, are very sensitive to height adjustments.

Great value and nice folks to work with.

6. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Thanks guys. They sound like ideal pickups for what I need. The price looks good too. I don't like the idea of a 2 month wait though. Guess I'll have to put up with it if I want that pickup.
  7. Peter Kaae

Peter Kaae

Oct 10, 2004
    I think i´m gonna order one today..:hyper:
  8. fcappi

Mar 4, 2006
    Cary, IL 60013
    I have had my P46 for about a month now and did not have a P-Bass to put it :( in until two weeks ago.

I ran across a really cherry 1993 Squier Precision Korean made 120.00 (don't laugh) Yes plywood body white on white with a maple neck. Really a nice bass.

I finished it last night!!! Sheilded the cavity in copper tape, new 25K audio taper pots, switchcraft 1/4 jack .1 orange drop cap, new wiring complete! threw on a gotoh grooved base plate bridge and played it last night and it sounds fantastic!!! Total cost 239.00!
  9. Tim Marshall

Tim Marshall

May 26, 2012
    I have been using the bill Lawrence p46 for awhile now and if your looking for that vintage fat punch this is it. it has a little more ball's than the vintage p. I think this is what your looking for. I use Rotosound swing bass 66 strings, with the .1 cap. cts pot's, 250. anyway it take's a little while for them to come in, but it's well worth it.
  10. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    I ended up not liking the p46. It sounds... weird to me. Sure it has punch but it doesn't do classic P growl.

People need to stop judging Seymour Duncan by the stupid Quarter Pounder. The QP is an aggressive heavy-hitter and a lot of new people end up with it every day because most other people sell it and it's cheap used.

A SPB-1 is a wonderful, round, punchy split style Precision bass pickup. Next to the Lollar my favorite.
  11. I definitely did not have a 2 month wait when I ordered mine. More like 2 weeks.
  12. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog

Feb 25, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    ^^^ I hope you realized that you're responding to a post from over 8 years ago. ^^^
  13. Tim Marshall

Tim Marshall

May 26, 2012
    If you can remember the 62 p bass in the sixty's. in the bridge cover there was a strip of foam rubber that laid across the string's it was glued to the top of the ash tray cover that gave it that thump, i had a L series 62 p bass back then.I did not use flat wound string's, and it had that james jamerson sound. i think the foam should be on top of the string glued to the top of the bridge cover. tim marshall long time player.