Looking for info on my bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blax, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Blax

Jul 20, 2005
    New to your forums and this being my first post I thought I would ask if anyone has any info on this bass. Its the only bass I own and I purchased it from my best friends father while helping them move a few years back. Now that I have graduated from college I want to take lessons, but I thought first I should learn as much as possible about my bass. Any info is appreciated, Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Blax

Jul 20, 2005
    one more photo. Thanks again

Attached Files:

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's a Musicman Sabre, which is no longer in production--looks like it was made before Ernie Ball bought Musicman, which would be sometime in the early 80's.

Are there specific things you want to know?
  4. Blax

Jul 20, 2005
    thanks for your reply, only one really
    i believe its the bridge? that seems to look different from the basses i see in catalogs and in music shops, does that make any kind of difference in terms of sound or is it just for looks? Thanks.

also i discovered a battery in the back which i changed, how often do you usually have to change them? or does it vary with style of play?

thanks again.

Attached Files:

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    in other words you have gold or petroleum in your hands :p
  6. you have a piece of poo. i'll take it off your hands.
    just kidding. that's really a diamond in the rough.

nice bass man!
  7. Blax

Jul 20, 2005
    thanks, I showed it to a friend of mine who told me its nice but he didnt know much about basses so he directed me here. I appreciate the feedback thanks!
  8. 00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    dont know much about it, but it looks like a keeper. how much did you pay for it? there is a black sabre on ebay with a 500 dollar starting price
  9. Blax

Jul 20, 2005
    i got it a custom case and a peavey tnt 100(another item i know almost nothing about) all for 100 bucks
    it was all just taking up space for him but i couldnt take it for free so i offered what i had at the time, promising to learn to play it as soon as i had time
  10. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004

What a steal! :D
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Great deal man, they're very sought after as they were the only 2-pickup Music Man design for a VERY long time until the Bongo and now the 2-pickup Stingrays and Sterlings which are coming out soon. Very nice basses. You got yourself a steal too, those things usually go between $700-1K IIRC, and the Peavey itself is a workhorse. Not the best SOUNDING amp, but it'll hold up longer than just about anything. Great shopping man!
  12. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Definitely a very good deal, if you ever want to get rid of it there are plenty of guys here that would be glad to take it off of your hands ;)

The battery usually powers the pickups and/or pre-amp, I don't know enough about your bass to say what it is specifically used for on your instrument. Very generally, batteries need to be changed out every 6 months or so, possibly sooner, depending on how much you play. If it's for the pups, you'll know when it's dead (there won't be any sound)

Welcome to TB, you'll find lots of good info here :D
  13. that is a crazy deal!!! good luck and treat it nice!!!
  14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    You got an incredible deal!

Pre-Eb Sabre's rock...I loved my '79. :bassist:

Batteries should last 6 months or so...Even though your bass is Pre-Eb, schematics are available at the Ernie Ball website.