1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for info on Univ North Texas Jazz Workshops

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by relacey, Apr 29, 2010.

1. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    Anybody have any input on the summer jazz workshops that UNT holds? I know Lynn Seaton is the bass instructor and UNT has a great reputation, but not much else about the programs. Is it geared to the youngsters or would a 55-yr old wannabe not look too out of place? I'd like someday to make it to the Aebersold camp in Louisville but Denton is just up the road for me.

2. Vetchking

Vetchking Banned

Mar 17, 2008
    President G.P.G. Co. "acoustic" USA

Vetchking@aol.com Here:

Went to North Texas back in the day. The school has tons to offer. Great experience. If it's just down the road, you should be down the road right now.

Don't let being 55 stop you. So, there's some young guys running around, that's cool. Believe me there are some 19 and 20 year olds running around North Texas that will blow your mind. You might even get your best lessons from one of them.

Anyhow, Go in a heart beat. You'll have a blast.

Later

3. BlakeJustBlake

BlakeJustBlake

May 20, 2010
    Denton TX
    I attend UNT right now, admittedly not as a jazz studies major, but I know a lot of them and hear a lot from them.

Though I can't say much for the summer workshops, a lot of older people take classes and such there.

Truthfully, they're going to be geared for musicians, not for ages. You're going to learn based on your skill level, not your age. You just have to be prepared to be surrounded by youngsters.

Seriously though, I suggest you come take a class or two.

Edit: (though, after looking, I see you're in Bryan, so a class or two at UNT isn't really commuting distance)

4. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    Thanks Blake, actually I teach at Texas A&M so dealing with young people is not really an issue. I just didn't want to get in the way if the workshops were set-up for students aspiring to a career in jazz. I'm planning on attending and I'm hoping to bring my son along, he's a drummer and college sophomore, if I can just pin him down on his summer plans. Now there's one young person that is sometimes hard to deal with but I don't think it has anything to do with age, just father/son stuff. :D

I wish I were close enough to take a class or just get some lessons from some of the faculty. TAMU is a great school and Bryan/College Station a really nice community but it's a little thin in the fine arts.

Ron