1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for information on a Squier P Bass that arrived this morning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lenam909, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Ok, I bought a bass off e-bay, it arrived this morning. The previous owner looked after it (minimal dents and scratches) but by the looks of it never cleaned it. It's currently in pieces downstairs waiting for my drills battery to charge so I can drill away the heads of two stuborn screws and replace the rusty bridge. Fretboard polished up nicely, all the grime and dust will clean away easily once I remove the bridge and electrics. As I was polishing the headstock I noticed a sticker on the back of it. It's a gold oval shaped sticker just less than an inch wide. It says 'celebrating' along the top followed by 'Fender' written in red, then '50' underneath that, followed by 'years of excellence'. On the left of the sticker there is the date '1946' and on the right, '1996'. The serial number on the neckplate is 'YN630564'. So it was made in 1996 which matches upto the sticker and it is a Chinese squier ('Y for 'Yako' which I believe relates to Taiwan). On the front of the headstock it reads 'Squier P-BASS by Fender'. Well that's all the information, what I want to know is, is this a 50th anniversary Squier P Bass or is it just a normal 1996 Squier P Bass with a sticker? Are there any features to look out for to see if this is something different to a normal Squier P Bass that just happens to be made in 1996? And could anyone give me more information regarding the '30564' part of the serial number?

2. TC2112

TC2112 Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Parke County, Indiana
    Edit

3. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    My band mate had a squier strat with the very same sticker on it. His was Korean made in 1996, and no, there was nothing special about it, no special electronics or features or anything. It's possible that all Squiers that year had the 50th Anniversary sticker but I don't know.
    His, being a Korean model, actually had a plywood body and the nut was placed on an angle somehow, so I guess that almost made it the opposite of special. Or it might have been Special Olympics "special."