1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

looking for input on a mid-priced bass for fingers/slap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 23, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've got two Fenders now, both of which I use a pick for since I'm playing pop-punk. But I want to have a good bass for finger playing and slapping and popping, since my Jazz is getting worn out. I'm looking for anywhere between $500-700 and I want a natural finish and a 5 string. I dont know why, I just do. I've looked at the Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic, Tobias Toby Pro-5, Washburn RB2002 Hammerhead, Ibanez SRX's, Dean Rhapsody (yeah, i know its an 8 string), Spectors (no!), and more that I can't even remember. Help me out. Right now I'm leaning towards the Tobias.

~Patrick

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Based on owning a Lakland Skyline 55-02 for a couple months I'd recommend looking into a 55-01 (less expensive than the 55-02).

Also,I played around with a Peavey Grind NTB a few months ago and it was pretty nice. Not quite a Cirrus, but for $400 it exceeded my expectations. I seriously considered getting it, but I was on a fretless mission and managed to exhibit incredible self-control.

Peace,

James

PS - It would be out of character for me NOT to mention that you can pick up used Alembic Epics on eBay for around $700.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    After looking, I'm still looking at a Toby, but that Peavey has me reelin. Oh yeah, I was wanting a natural finish with the race stripe style through the center.