Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for input on a mid-priced bass for fingers/slap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 23, 2003.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've got two Fenders now, both of which I use a pick for since I'm playing pop-punk. But I want to have a good bass for finger playing and slapping and popping, since my Jazz is getting worn out. I'm looking for anywhere between $500-700 and I want a natural finish and a 5 string. I dont know why, I just do. I've looked at the Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic, Tobias Toby Pro-5, Washburn RB2002 Hammerhead, Ibanez SRX's, Dean Rhapsody (yeah, i know its an 8 string), Spectors (no!), and more that I can't even remember. Help me out. Right now I'm leaning towards the Tobias.

~Patrick

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Based on owning a Lakland Skyline 55-02 for a couple months I'd recommend looking into a 55-01 (less expensive than the 55-02).

Also,I played around with a Peavey Grind NTB a few months ago and it was pretty nice. Not quite a Cirrus, but for $400 it exceeded my expectations. I seriously considered getting it, but I was on a fretless mission and managed to exhibit incredible self-control.

Peace,

James

PS - It would be out of character for me NOT to mention that you can pick up used Alembic Epics on eBay for around $700.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    After looking, I'm still looking at a Toby, but that Peavey has me reelin. Oh yeah, I was wanting a natural finish with the race stripe style through the center.