1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for Input on Bartolini Upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BigLoopDuke, Oct 29, 2018.

1. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    Hi everyone,

I picked up a MTD Kingston Z5 yesterday. Even though the stock pickups and preamp sound ok to my ears, I think I can upgrade and do a bit better. My reference point for tone falls somewhere in the vicinity of Bubby Lewis' tone during the Snoop Dog rehearsal videos. (I'm planning to restring with a set of La Bella tapewounds, too)

I'm thinking about getting the Bartolini HR-5.2AP/MT preamp, although I'm interested in the "Burbank" version (BR-HRTCT-5.4AP) that Adam Saylor talks about here...
    • Does anyone have any experience with either of these preamps?
    • I bought mine used through GC. I think the previous owner did a few updates to the bass (including a set of straplocks, which was a pleasant surprise when it showed up.) There are currently two three-way switches in addition to the 3-band EQ, volume and blend knobs - I'm going to open up the back cover tonight and take a look - but are the dual switches indicative of any specific preamp or functionality?
    Pickups - I'm currently thinking of going with the Bartolini P25C-T/B, but I'm curious how big of a difference the other pickups that Dana B Goods advertises vary? I don't want the pickups to be too bright or have too much high end - my experience with other pickups is that those tended to showcase more mid-range or at least sacrifice a bit of the low-end.

Thanks for any feedback/guidance!

2. mustBmtd

mustBmtd Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    Here's a upgrade chart that can help you. 20180602_124115.

BigLoopDuke likes this.
  3. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    So, these are essentially the recommended upgrades, anyway, right?

4. mustBmtd

mustBmtd Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tennessee
    Yes, they are recommended upgrades for having some of the Kingston line basses. That don't have the USA upgrade already. Such as the Kingston AG5 or 6 or the ZX5. Those three already come with the USA electronics. But you can always go with whatever of your choice.