1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for input on cab pairing for my Eden WT-550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dabnebula, Jan 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dabnebula

dabnebula

Jan 19, 2017
    Hello,

Brand new member here but long time lurker. Curious on anyone's input as to what a good 1x15, 1x18, combination that would make the best use of the power I have while preserving tone.

2. dabnebula

dabnebula

Jan 19, 2017
  3. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    I'd be inclined to recommend a 4x10, since they're cheap and plentiful, or a pair of matched 12" or 15" cabs. To make a more solid recommendation, a lot of guys here are going to want to know what kind of music you play, what general tone you want to achieve, how loud you want to be, and how much you can spend.

Munjibunga likes this.
  4. dabnebula

dabnebula

Jan 19, 2017
    The problem there is that I play in one detuned doom metal band in B tuning, a fast, maybe death/metal band in E tuning, and then in a jam band/ambient/funky.

I want to get some deep lows to come through as my current 2 (2x10s) can't deliver. They were home-built and I was stupid for buying them. They have the 10" seismic audio drivers in them and I cannot get them to sound good. So theoretically it's a 4x10, but it's time for me to move on to something more SHOW-WORTHY, as I am gigging 1-3 times a month.

I use my guitarists Ampeg 1x18 and I am in love with it, maybe I will throw him an offer, but I love the preservation of the lows through it..

5. dabnebula

dabnebula

Jan 19, 2017
    and something that will stand the test of time, like my Eden head and can be added to! Not replaced!! :]

6. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Depending on the gig I'll match my WT400 with either an Eden D-210XST (low & smooth), Eden D-410XLT (low, loud & growly), or a Schroeder 1515L (low, loud, light, & smooth). They all sound great, just a bit different. And don't think the Eden 10s can't go low. They've got grunt, but they just weigh a ton.

Lo-E likes this.
  7. dabnebula

dabnebula

Jan 19, 2017
    Thanks quickervicar!

I will look into matching my head with an Eden cab... who would've thunk it.. and definitely check out those models suggested. Why am I always hearing that bigger speakers have bigger lows? Is it actually something negligible?

8. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    Different speakers and cabinets will have different tones, low end extensions etc- it has much more to do with construction than speaker size. A perfect example would be Ampeg's 410HLF, which is a 4x10 with lots of deep (to a fault, for some) low end, versus the PF115HE from the same company, which is a generally old-school sound that relies on midrange. Sealed vs ported is probably a better indicator of low frequency output than speaker size.

quickervicar likes this.
  9. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I would highly encourage you to save your money and wait to buy something that sounds right to you. And the used market offers a wonderful selection and value these days.

Timmah likes this.
  10. dabnebula

dabnebula

Jan 19, 2017
    Thanks for all the replys guys. So ported cabs carry more low end by design or is the closed box better? I assume ported is better for quick attack, quick decay, punchy sounding bass, and closed box is better for warmer, more rumbling riffs?

What is a good 4x10, 1x15, 1x18 that could pair well?

The Eden WT-550 puts out 500W at 4ohms and I am not opposed to a 2x10/1x5(18) combination rig.

Clearly these are out of the question now, with their wattage rating:
    EX410SC4 | EDEN Amplification
    EX115 | EDEN Amplification
    D115XLT | EDEN Amplification

Perhaps a combination of 2 of the following at 8ohms each?:
    D115XLT | EDEN Amplification
    D210XLT | EDEN Amplification
    D210XST | EDEN Amplification
    D212XST | EDEN Amplification

Again, thank you all for your advice and opinions. If anyone has any direct experience with different cabs being mated with this head and the end result, please pass on your wisdom!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  11. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Usually, ported cabs will go lower. I say "usually" because it's only a general rule and a good speaker designer can work wonders with either format.

It's typically the other way around, but again, just a general rule.

I'll second Quickervicar's sentiment that Eden cabs tend to sound quite good with Eden heads. A pair of 8-Ohm 210XST cabs would likely give you exactly what you're looking for, IMO.

That said, I've gotten great tone with a wide range of cabs using Eden WT heads. 500W is a fairly standard power rating for a gigging head. There are a whole lot of cabs that will work just fine with a WT500. You may want to look into Avatar's line of cabinets. Amazing bang for buck. They're not quite in the same league as the boutique cabs like Bergantino, etc..., but they're quite good nonetheless and very wallet-friendly.
    An Avatar 410 or 412 at 4Ohms would be very loud with a WT500 and, IMO, would sound pretty darn good.

You could also look into LDS cabinets, built by Don Oatman. He can build you anything you want, or he has "stock" designs he will build, some of which are voiced similarly to older Eden cabs. His build quality is outstanding, his prices good and he's a very nice guy.

If you want to stick with an off-the shelf, buy-it-anywhere type of product, then you really can't go wrong with Eden or Ampeg cabs. Just try and get a chance to hear any Ampeg cabs first because they make a wide range of cabs and they can sound very different from each other.

Happy hunting!

12. dabnebula

dabnebula

Jan 19, 2017
    Thank you for your advice! I will look into it and follow up.

Lo-E likes this.
  13. Zach Soczka

Zach Soczka

Jan 25, 2016
    I had the same amp.. now I have the 800.. I got a few 15s and blew a few because the power was to much.. I found 410s to work much better with that amp. Unless you get an 8 ohm 15 and combine it with the 8 ohm 410.. I've had a number of cab combos when I had that amp and it always sounded best when I had the eden xlt 410 and the dxlt 115..I still play those cabs only through the wt 800 biamped.. just my thoughts.. I play modulus bass and go for the super deep tones..

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  14. dabnebula

dabnebula

Jan 19, 2017
    Modulus :O

I definitely head after a phil lesh style and tone. Those basses rip! I will lookup these models. I was hoping for a 2x10 with 1x15, but ill check them out. Thanks

Zach Soczka likes this.
  15. rico bass

rico bass

Mar 29, 2013
    NY
    Get an Eden cabinet they are the best cabinets expensive but great,efficient, excellent quality great sound tried them all ,can be picked up used cheap.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A D-410XST would be real good.

murphy likes this.
  17. Zach Soczka

Zach Soczka

Jan 25, 2016
    I did the 210 and 15 combo I had the dxlt 115 and a swr Goliath iii 210. it did sound great seemed to have to much low end.. I like a perfect balance of clarity and low end.. either way you got a great amp and its going to sound good out of almost any cab..