Looking for input, regaring Fretless Warmoth Jazz Necks.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Nov 19, 2004.

1. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I was watching one of the recent ad-hoc SX threads, & I think my issue is going to get buried there. So, here we go...

A few months back, HackJr bought an SX Jazz bass. Having played it, its a steal for what you get. Don't get me wrong, its not my Custom PJ, or my Lakland Skyline, but I didn't mind it.

Well, due to a couple of reasons, I think my son's going to want to sell it soon... So, I'll likely grab it from him, & hot rod the thing... To start, I was thinking about a new fretless warmoth neck.. Of course, pups, tuners & a bridge, too. But, those are the easy parts. At last, IMHO, they are.

I'm SURE someone has done a frettless warmoth jazz bass neck... I'd like to hear any & all RELEVANT input regarding the following:

1) Warmoth Necks fitting on an SX bass. Should be a direct bold on, but... It's better to find out now...

2) Warmoth Fretless Necks. Nice, very nice, or like-buttah nice?
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I think the older J models are 34.5" scale, so I'm not sure you'll be able to get a clean fit, and good intonation.
  3. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    It's a relatively new SX, complete w/ the freaky lookin headstock... When I say new, the kid bought new, just this summer.

It's THIS model

4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Those are probably 34". XxCentral34xX bought a 62 one and he said a fender neck had a good fit.
  5. I think that is a great idea and have been thinking of that myself. How much is a standard unlined neck and the rest of the parts you want ot put in? Would love to be kept in the loop on this.
  6. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, I was just flipping thru Warmoth's showcase, & found a couple of REALLY interesting things...

But, I'm a fretless noob, so I need some lines... This one could be VERY cool, if it were right handed.

7. Man, I do not even think i know what a "goncola alves" tree looks like. That indian rosewood neck looks so cool. I wonder how it would [pardon the pun] sound.
  8. Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm going to be doing something along those lines for my next bass. I would love to hear how it works out.
  9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I used to own a frankenjazz with a Warmoth neck. I thought it was a very good neck. It sounded great with no dead spots. The board was ebony and even as can be. It was a heavy neck though and I had it mounted on a heavy body. They use steel stiffening rods in their necks which makes them a tad heavier. I ended up selling that bass because the bass weighed a ton, but I will say that it played great and sounded great.
  10. The first bass I built (and still have) has a Warmoth fretless neck. It's a birdseye maple with an ebony board. Absolutely the finest sounding neck I've ever played. No dead spots, and perfect response all over the thing. It stays straight, dead straight, and I usually never have to do an adjustment. I've even had the neck off for months only to bolt it back up, restring and have the neck come into perfect alignment in a few days.

The only thing you'll have to work around is the long trussrod adjustment nut under the fretboard extension. You'll have to route a little channel at the back of the pocket for clearance. Other than that, they should make for a good fit.
  11. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    +1 for warmoth fretless necks. I have two parts j-basses...one is a warmoth ash body, warmoth maple neck with a maple fingerboard. I had it converted to fretless years ago with a light coating on the maple board. The bass really sings, and it hasn't needed an adjustment in years. My other is a maple mighty mite body (solid as a rock, but about as heavy) with a maple warmoth neck with a lined ebony board. Again, this hasn't needed an adjustment in a long *ss time. The neck is pretty heavy though, but the board is smooth as silk. This second neck had a pretty heavy coating on the back of the neck that I didn't like, so I had it sanded off, and lightly finished with oil. Love it now. Depending on where you live, I think it sometimes takes necks time to settle down. For example, those two basses were pretty cheap since I bought some of the pieces second hand, and after some adjusting, and a lot of playing, they seem as stable as can be now. My expensive USA lakland Joe Os, which I've only had for a handful of months, seems to still be getting used to this Massachusetts weather. I'm having it adjusted every couple of weeks right now.
  12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Any guy with a soildering iron and a router should be able to take care of that. :)

I've never used a Warmoth fretless neck but in my experience with their fretted neck building them for myself or for others, they are very stable. The quality of the woods that are used are of high quality. The only downside is that they can be on the heavy side due to the steel reinforcment bars that keep them so stable.
  13. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    I too had a warmoth fretless I made about ten years ago that I wish I would have never sold. I think both the body and neck were warmoth, even with my island weather here on Guam no problems, I'd go from outdoor gigs to inside heavy airconed gigs with never needing any adjustment. Should have never gotten rid of that one, I think I traded it for a small generator after a typhoon when I didn't have any power for a few weeks.
  14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I can't see any quality differences between the 2 fretless Warmoth necks I have; The first one I bought in 1990 and put in a P-Bass, the second one I bought on 2000 and put in a J-style body. Both have ebony fingerboards and are lined. A local guitar tech sprayed both the fingerboards with a finish similar to polyester. I think he called it called 'Fuller-Plas'. It's held up to roundwound strings very well.

I also have a Warmoth fretted neck with an ebony fingerboard that's in a J-style body that I've had since '90 or '91. It's also held up really well.

Like Nino said, they're a bit heavy, but they're very high quality.
  15. You can always order the neck without the fretboard extension. IMO they are kinda hokey, and when I order a Warmoth neck, it will definitely be without the extension.

They also offer a stainless fretwire option for those ordering fretted necks.
  16. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ya know,

After thinking about this, I'm finding it tough to justify spending that kinda money, on a bass which began life as a bargain basement SX, which cost $130...
  17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I was just going to post in regards to this - if you'd be replacing the neck, hardware, pup and electronics with high-quality replacements, why both keeping the "inferior" (while SX may be good for the price, I think we can all agree on the usage of the word in this situation) body in the first place?

You can still keep your idea of building a high-quality fretless from Warmoth while having the SX as a backup bass - their showcase (link sorted by price, lowest-to-highest) has some great deals, especially if you go for a "plain jane" ash/alder body with no exotic/figured top that would make an excellent bass for a fairly reasonable cost.