Looking for inspiration: Show me your oil finish basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank77, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Hey guys,

I'm soon getting a custom build started by a local luthier, and as the title states I'm looking for ideas on the finish.

I'm currently torn between two options: A sparkly solid colour with a pickguard (aka "the flashy option"); or a more sober, oil finish without a guard. My luthier can do both, but prefers oil finishes - he's done more of these and always had good results.

Some data:
    • Body wood: I'm leaning towards swamp ash, but this can change. Adding a fancy figured top is not excluded, either.
    • Body shape will be a double cutaway. Think Chowny SWB-1 or Reverend Wattplower.
    • Neck wood will be maple.
    • Fingerboard will be ebony.
    • Can be natural or coloured.
    Let me see what you have, maybe it'll give me some ideas!

Cheers!

2. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    u0dv2ih63d.jpg
    Bare

o9pv3afa0u.jpg
    1 coat of Tung Oil

7sa37ei2fi.jpg
    About 5 coats

Wings are Ash

3. * Crickets*

Well, I was hoping for more pictures of more basses, but that is one fine example. Thanks @lug !

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

yes: we need more pics! :hyper:

5. FretsAreFor

FretsAreFor

Apr 26, 2017
    I'll bite. Woods here are khaya (main body), curly maple (top wood), flamed roasted maple (neck), and ebony (fretboard). I don't have a good shot of the neck, which is really to die for. You can see the same wood used for the knobs and the cavity cover.

The finish is:
    * Angelus black leather dye (just on the maple top, obv)
    * Boiled linseed oil
    * Several coats of satin Osmo hard wax oil

The Osmo really glows, without having the harshness of a gloss finish. (Gloss should be outlawed IMO, you can't convince me otherwise.)

More glamour shots in my build thread.

01 body.jpg

05 back body.jpg

6. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    That is beautimous!

FretsAreFor likes this.
  7. I picked up a 1967 Fender Precision Bass last year that pretty much meets the spec's you outlined ... oil finish, maple neck, ebony board, but I don't know what type of wood they used for the body. You can see some pics here. NBD 1967 Fender Precision Bass. It has a poor "hippy refinish" but I have'n't changed a single thing on it and don't intend to; the neck and head-stock appear to be untouched. It may have come from the factory as Fiesta Red or Candy Apple Red.

Frank77 likes this.
  8. Wow! This finish is just unbelievable!

9. FretsAreFor

FretsAreFor

Apr 26, 2017
    Thanks -- oil finishes don't need to be dull and lifeless!

Frank77 likes this.
  10. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oil finish life here. If the wood is nice shine it up and show it...if gross paint it.

Frank77 likes this.