Looking for Instructor in Indy area

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Not sure if this is the right forum to post this, but I'm looking for an instructor in the Indy area. Ive been playing for quite a while (14 years) but am looking mainly for someone to teach me some new licks and stuff I dont know (which I'm sure there is a bunch).

Only requirements I have is that they be able to read music and familiar with walking lines. Last instructor I had, which was a HECK of a player, couldnt read a lick of music which was a road block.
  2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    your gonna be close to SOL in indy. I work at a music store in indy and i was a performance major for a few years. There arent any good bass teachers in the general area. Even the ones people will recommend, i hear horrible misinformation being fed to their students. David Murray is the best upright teacher you could ask for but no luck with electric. I heard mellencamps bassist, i think his names johnny g is a good teacher but hes out on tour alot. good luck.
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I can't remember his name offhand but the bassist for Birdmen of Alcatraz was extremly talented and read music. He was teaching out of Guitarworks in Greenwood but thats been many years ago.

If you can find him, I would certainly recommend checking him out.
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I IMed you with my answer, but thought i would post for anyone else looking.

They aren't in Indy-about an hour and a half north in Lafayette, but Lynn Colwell and Scott Pazera are the guys i have studied with.

Scott has a website- www.scottpazera.com. Plays primarily electric-definately a good teacher and player

Lynn doesn't have a website yet. Great teacher though, he could explain things in a way that made them sink in/make sense quicker than right about any other teacher i've had. If anyone wants his contact info-let me know.

Indy proper? No clue-might try calling around to the different high schools [Carmel, Center Grove, Ben Davis, etc] and see if they could recommend anyone.