1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for Irish folk songs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by easyvision, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Evenin all. I'm starting up an Irish folk band just to get some money comin in, but I'm struggling to put the set together. My guitarist/singer reckons about 50 songs would give us more than enough material.

Any suggestions? Or sets that any of you have done that went down well? We're going for a more rocky than traditional feel, as it tends to go down well over here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And it goes without saying, no rebel songs :)

2. Curmei

Curmei

Dec 29, 2008
    Not sure if it is in-line with what you are looking to do, but you can check out some Robbie O'Connell and a project he was involved in called Clancy, O'Connell and Clancy for traditional folk type songs. Then there are fuller, more modern sounding bands like The Cheiftans, Clannad and Leahy. Of course, just searching the 'net for Irish folk will give plenty of good leads on traditional and non-traditional songs.

I'm not an expert - by any means, but growing up in and around South Boston, I had a good bit of this thrown my way.

My personal favorite "folk" drinking song, and if you want to mix things up a bit in your set, is Mrs. Whisky Name by Murder Inc.:

"Some people may say that the bottle be damned
    But you'll no catch the bottle in another man's hands" :)

Good luck! Those can be some fun gigs, and decent money is to be had if you can play the songs well.

3. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    If you're looking for essentials that the audience will sing along to while beating a pewter mug full of guiness on the table my recommendations would be Whiskey In A Jar, Finnegan's Wake, and Rocky Road To Dublin. Everybody knows those though so I'm guessing you've already thought of them. My personal favorite that I've only seen a couple bands play is Big Strong Man. Quick tempo, perfect for rock, and it's great for audience involvement, too.

4. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    How about "Fairmount Hill"?