Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for life to be easy!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by odie, Oct 16, 2002.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well I'm getting tired of tweaking truss rods, getting a bass to sound good live but ending up terrible in recordings in a band situation.

My life is getting too complicated at the moment(family, work, extended family, health etc) and I need something that will be easy for once.

I need something that will sound good live, records well, and needs very little neck/action maintenance.
    Oh and needs to be a 5 string and Im not made of money. Single parent and a crappy job(Whine, Whine).

I know it sounds like the search for the Holy Grail, but its come down to were I need to eliminate the hassles of life and I dont need music to become a hassle.

So the setup problem could be fixed by getting a graphite type neck. Sounding good live and recorded could be fixed with a Jazz.

Ive tried G&L 2000- sounds good live, versatile, but needs tweaking and it was a little noisy recorded.

Stingray-good all around sound, very little tweaking sound wise. But was noisy in recordings and was uncomfortable in my hands(cramping)

Kingston-Very good playabilty, very lil tweaking. But really "mid-rangy", limp sounding in recordings.

Gibson Tobias- Very poor neck maintenance raising frets etc.

Maybe a Fender Jazz?

Help me out Im getting a little burnt out.

Maybe I'll take up Harmonica

2. odie

odie Supporting Member

ipodeloc- the thought crossed my mind. It solves the neck tweaking problem. But I wasnt sure on what the sound is like.
    Also I dont think they have a five string in those models.

I keep hearing good things about Zon's too.

3. And what about a Moses neck on a bass/body you like? Or directly a Moses Starhawk ...(don't know how it sounds).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    A more conventional option would be a Peavey Cirrus. Rock solid necks.

5. Status Retro active...MMMMMmmmmmm.
    Id love to try one of these beauties.

I have a Trace T-bass which Status made.
    It's brilliant, thin neck, after I set it up i've had to make no adjustments, sounds great, it has 2 status hyperactive pickups and a concealed third pickup to cancel any hum, the active eq goes all the way from A to Z sound wise and it records well. It cost me £250 from the local free ad paper and if I see any more i'll be buying them.

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

For a non graphite I was thinking of Lakland Skyline, but I dont know about the set up aspect or the recording sound.

FMT-if they still make them!!

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

ipodeloc- or anyone else: Does Status make 5 string version of Status Retro-Activ?

8. I don't know ... The best is to contact Status directly. I'm in holidays for more than 2 weeks, far from any computer ... I hope you have an answer before my return!
    mail to status

9. but this one exists in 5 strings fretted ... I really like it (as fretless of course)!
    [​IMG]

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

Its weird but it looks like a Zon hyper bass to me.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What's your budget, Odie?

12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Under $1600, ideally the cheapest possible. Maybe even a $1000. Just found out my Transmission is going out, and I have some has some back medical bills.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Modulus Quantum (4,5,or6). Whether to get Barts or EMG's is a personal matter, totally up to your ears.

These can be found used/like new condition in your price range. No more neck problems. Mine sounds great both live and recorded (no clips, sorry:( ), to me, anyway.

Might be something to look into.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    There are quite a few basses that fit that price range. Like both of my used F basses!

I'd go used and pick up a nice $2500+ retail bass. It's very possible. That puts a lot of high end gear in your sites... Zon, Modulus, Smith, to a lesser degree F Bass, Hanewinckel, Brubaker, there are a bunch of choices.

Also new basses form Fender, Lakland, the new Sadowsky, etc. Personally I'd check out a Crescent Moon, might be in your price range too.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Damn that Status Retro-Active J looks good. I'd LOVE to have that bass (of course, I'm a P freak, so I'd get it P+J with a P neck, but the sentiment is there).

Hmn...*wonders about price for future high end 4 string*...

16. odie

odie Supporting Member

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They look pretty nice to me. And Brad's endorsement doesn't hurt at all. Here's a guy with every bass EVER MADE (well...) who says these things kick? Good enough for me.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I've never played a DP.

Crescent Moon is Craig Muller, a Baltimore-based builder. His basses are the real deal. Unlike DP he has his own body styles and that's what he builds. So far he's not doing anything from drawings and such. The price range he's in is very attractive, especially for a well-built bass with nice electronics (Bart pickups and electronics)

I've actually spent quite a bit of time with his basses and will probably get his first bolt-on... if he decides to let it go;). I saw the new body a couple of weeks ago and it was sweet. Just another excuse to rotate another bass I don't use often enough.

I love bass :D

19. odie

odie Supporting Member

I'll check on the status of the bolt-on. For some reason I dont like neck-thru. Not sure why.