1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for Lighter Beginner's Bass for my Wife

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by infotrad, Feb 29, 2008.

1. infotrad

infotrad

Feb 29, 2008
    I'm looking for a lighter bass for my wife (does a shorter scale exist in bass guitars?). I was told that the Fender Mexican P Bass is a good choice, but I'm wondering there are lighter basses around that offer good value for a basic instrument.
    As a Beatle fan, I was wondering about the Hohner bass, since it seems light as it is a hollow-body). But even with the Hohner line, I wouldn't know which specific model to get.

Also, any recommendations on a small bass amp (maybe even tubes, if the tube sond makes a difference with the lower bass frequencies) would be welcome.

2. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    squier bronco

3. I think the Fender mustang is short scale...

4. The Rogue VB-100 Beatle Bass is in the 6 pound range, which is about as light as it gets. (Turser and others make very similar basses, probably all made in the same chinese factory.) I also like the Bronco bass, and wouldn't hesitate to go that route. With either bass, a change of strings will be desirable. the rogue comes with a hideous tinny set of rounds, but installing Labella Hofner flats changes the sound completely.

If you go 34" scale, the lightest bass I know of is the Jay Turser JTB-401, which is a clone of the '54 Precision and which gets rave reviews for its sound. All three of these can be had for $200 or less. The drawback of the Turser is that the neck is heavy enough that it's a neck-diver. I countered this by adding a bridge cover (looks much better) and putting adhesive tire weights inside the cover. That balanced it out and it's still about 7.5 pounds, which is on the light side for a bass.

I'm sure you'll also get positive feedback on the SX short scale basses, which probably would work nicely.

5. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    i wouldn't give her a P bass if I was looking for something smaller than usual, the neck is usually much wider than on regular basses, and thus harder to use with smaller hands...

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Ibanez gsr series.

7. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Ibby GSR 200; very high sound/comfort-to-price ratio.
    You'll be hardpressed to find more bass for the money.

8. The Ibanez SR800 Series of four stringers always had a really small neck that seemed easy for smaller and hands and was fairly light. I got one specifically so the that a female lead in a band could play it when I did front vocal duty. After struggling with some of my other heavier and larger neck basses, she took to the Ibanez with out much trouble at all.

9. +1 Small neck, fairly light body, and inexpensive.

10. maryhyphenbeth

maryhyphenbeth

Jun 19, 2007
    Toronto
    I have the Ibanez GSR200FM. I never touched a bass before I bought this one, so I have nothing to compare it to. Here's my two cents anyway: I feel carrying my bass in its bag is less heavy than carrying my 14 inch iBook around. Maybe if I carried iBook on my back it would be slightly different.
    I bought the matching Ibanez IBZ10B 10 watt practise amp...which I find, and most people say, is decent/more than enough for what I want out of it.

My longest finger is 3 inches, and I don't find the neck to be too difficult to manage....except below the 12th fret, and into the body of my bass is near impossible to get my fingers around...but what bassist is playing there all the time anyway?

I'd recommend it to anyone. GSR200 is a very popular model.

11. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Aww, man,
    You'd hate my fretless 6, very wide neck. If you can imagine: a 55mm nut :eek:

12. Stevieconlon

Stevieconlon Supporting Member

The Danelectro's are very light and most are short scale.

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The Ibanez GAXB is another one to look at 32" scale and pretty light.
    [​IMG]

14. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    There exists a series of Fenders called "Precision Lyte." They are disconctinued but not difficult to find on eBay. I actually own one of the rarer Precision Lyte Deluxe models, and I can attest for its quality. Search "Precision Lyte" or "P Bass Lyte" or something and see what comes up. They're like 5 pounds.

15. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I used to have a similar Aria Pro II CSB-380. Nice bass, but it was a neck diver.

16. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    Agreed. I bought one of these for my wife when she was playing bass for a band I was in. It sounded good, was lightweight, and pretty easy for her to play. She's only 5'1", so the ergonomics of the instrument were important, and the Ibanez did the trick.

17. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    I have the Brice HVB 600 (Beatle bass), available on Rondomusic.com for 259.00, and it is a good starting point. Has some limitations on the variety of tones available, but if she likes vintage rock...this thing rocks! Really good with flatwound strings on it.

Rondo also has some short scale SX basses available. If they had a short scale P/J I'd have one.

18. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    "Beatle" basses are indeed the shortest and lightest basses available, and they have a robust sound. The neck is very narrow also.

I have owned one of these:http://www.rondomusic.com/wvebsn.html and it's a good value.

But the stock strings are very poor and need to be replaced.

19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Oh Heck. Y'all are gonna hate me, but here goes...
    Plenty of smaller stature/handed people (male and female) play double
    basses, P-basses. etc. No problem!

In my opinon--as a professional music teacher--if a 15 year-old girl can
    manage a double bass (41.5" scale), darn near anyone can manage a 9
    LB. 34" scale electric bass.

Find your wife a bass by helping her find basses to play while she is
    learning on something borrowed. Let her choose something from an
    informed vantage point...all IMHO.