1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for lighter beginner's bass for my wife

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by infotrad, Feb 29, 2008.

1. infotrad

infotrad

Feb 29, 2008
    I'm looking for a lighter bass for my wife (does a shorter scale exist in bass guitars?). I was told that the Fender Mexican P Bass is a good choice, but I'm wondering there are lighter basses around that offer good value for a basic instrument.
    As a Beatle fan, I was wondering about the Hohner bass, since it seems light as it is a hollow-body). But regarding the Hohner line, I would need a recommendantion for a budget model.

Also, any recommendations on a small bass amp (maybe even tubes, if the tube sound makes a difference with the lower bass frequencies) would be welcome.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Ibanez Mikro

3. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Fender Mustang. It was my first bass when I was 15. Short scale, and otherwise very "P-bass" sound.

4. rzm61

rzm61

Feb 26, 2008
    Well if you want light, how about an acoustic? ;)

Also, the Yamaha RBX-170 isn't all too bad.
    Not to heavy, its right in the middle. It has the P-J style pickups and its got a pretty decent sound.

5. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Is there any reason your wife has to play a short scale? I started on a regular size bass. I am not that tall and make no claims to any female super strength. Right now I play an Ibanez model that is no longer produced. Its not the lightest, but the neck is very comfortable and it balances nicely. I think the balance of the bass, how it sits on your leg when you play and how the neck feels and plays is most important as well as relative lightness.

I would check out the Ibanez line. Even as a beginner, I think you should let her try out basses for herself and see what appeals to her. Knowing nothing about basses when I started, I really made some good choices by instinct. Just not a fan of chick designed or short scale basses.