Looking for live setup advice

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by ttocsbass, Sep 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ttocsbass

ttocsbass

Oct 25, 2012
    I've always just brought my amp and cab to gigs and let the sound guys do whatever they want.

I've since sold all my bass gear (long story) and I'm trying to get away with running some sort of DI setup to avoid buying a new bass amp and cab.

I have a Countryman DI box that I use for home recording purposes.
    Is this DI suitable for live scenarios?

I play alternative rock music, and like a little bit of grit.
    Can I use the Countryman DI with an overdrive pedal in front of it?
    Or should I buy a different DI/preamp with overdrive capabilities like the Sansamp RBI?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Calling JimmyM

3. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    They countryman is tour standard for live DI boxes it'll work / sound great.

With dirt can be tricky as there's no speaker Sim or any HP/LP filters on it. If you use subtle dirt / grit you'll probably be fine. Their more intense and / or fuzzy type drive you get the more you run the risk of angry bees type sound.
    This is where a Sansamp or Omnicab Sim may be of use as this will give you more of a mic'd up Cab type tone.

4. ttocsbass

ttocsbass

Oct 25, 2012
    Great. That makes sense. It's just a subtle overdrive I'm after, so perhaps I'll try a few pedals and see how they sound.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Passive basses like the Country man and active basses like something passive... I believe it is the input impedance ... I run active basses most of the time and once in a great while a passive bass. I use the DI in a Radial BassBone. It seems to work fine with both. Would recommend that for you as well. My pedal board is what is sent to the FOH and I'm in it all the time. Bassbone, Zoom B3 and EHX Pitchfork in the effects loop. Works for me.

I do run an amp. It is just a monitor for me and the drummer though.

6. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    The active bass - passive DI and Passive bass to active DI rule I see posted a lot and in my professional experience mixing live sound and in the recording studio it's not nearly as big of deal as some people seem to make it. A good quality passive or active DI will work/sound good with an active or passive bass period.

There can be a case with passive pickups that are lower output/vintage or just extra sensitive that a passive DI can change the load on the pickup because of the input impedance and in those cases an active DI may be preferable as it will prevent this. This isn't an absolute rule, but can happen and is the kind of thing you need see how it sounds for yourself to make the final call.

I have found little to now advantage to using a passive DI with an active bass or any downside to using an active DI with an active bass other than you need to make sure the active DI has fresh battery and or phantom power or it's power supply whatever it needs vs a passive no power needed so just one less thing to worry about/deal with.

It's another one of those one size doesn't fit all kind of situations and best advice is to try it with your gear. If it sounds good, it's good period. If something isn't sounding right then that's where trying active or passive or just a different DI may yield better results.

In my use I've used Countryman Type 85 DI's with active and passive guitars and basses never had an issue and always sounded good. I've also used Radial J48 active and JDI passive DI's with active and passive basses and there was no to very very insignificant sound different from the DI. With the Radials it is worth noting that you should definitely experiment with the -15db pad as that can sometimes really hep with high output basses/guitars.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021