Looking for Luthier in San Diego area

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Aug 25, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking for a luthier in the San Diego are. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.:D
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm not up on my California geography, but the following is an abridged list taken from (ALL HAIL) Bob Gollihur's luthier directory ( www.urbbob.com ) with the luthiers in San Francisco and San Jose removed (I do know at least that much). Hope this helps.

CA, Berkeley, Ifshin Violins, (510) 843-5466 ifshinviolins.com
    Repairs, restorations, accessories

CA, Fresno, Stephen Bridgham, (559) 432-9071, sbvln@aol.com
    Repairs, restorations

CA, Glendale, Thomas Metzler Violin Shop, 818-246-0278, 818-246-8697 fax
    Basses and bows, repairs, rentals, discounted accessories

CA, Long Beach, World of Strings, 562-599-3913
    Repairs, restoration, basses and accessories

CA, Los Angeles, Lisa J. Gass, Los Angeles Bass Works, 323-953-5122
    Repairs, restoration, new basses

CA, Oakland, Michael Olivola & Hannah Mayne, The Bass House, 510.382.0620 info@basshouse.com • basshouse.com/
    Services basses, sales of parts and accessories, restorations, builds basses

CA, Palo Alto, Lawrence Haussler, Palo Alto Violins, 650-327-8465
    Services all stringed instruments, sells new and used, builds violins.

CA, Petaluma, Bruce Sexauer, luthier, (707)782-1044 bruce@sexauerluthier.com • thestringbass.com
    Repairs, maintenance, custom parts, and sales of new and used basses and bows; builds guitars and violins.

CA, Winters, Keith Cary Stringed Intrument Repair, 530-795-3173, kcary@dcn.org
    Repairs, used instruments, and accessories
  3. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Chris
    the closest one on the list in Long Beach which is about 2 hours north of me. :meh:
  4. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Where the heck is our own Mike Pecanic in that list? Just out of LaLa. Look to your left.[in more ways than one]
  5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    My sister and brother-in-law run a violin restoration shop in Los Angeles -- www.VitaDolceViolins.com They DON'T TOUCH basses. They're EXTREMELY picky. They do not give polite recommendations just to be polite. Heck, it's a wonder they're polite to me!

They used to work at Metzler with Lisa Gass. They recommend her highly. It's only a two-hour ride to have one of the leading practitioners work on your gear.
  6. mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Steve Azola is in North County and probably would have info on luthiers in and around the San Diego area. He does killer work but I'm not sure that he takes on repairs.
  7. Hey there,

A tuning peg snapped off my bass, while riding in my car. :bawl: Also, I'd like some setup work done. Who in San Diego could do this?
  8. Hey...Email this guy, Tom Mylett. There's a good guy, and I can't remember his name.
    Tom will set you straight!
  9. San Diego has a symphony orchestra. Call, explain that you need info, and can they hook you up? I've done it in other places.
    Also, the great Burt Turetsky is out there. Do a google search to see where he teaches.