Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for luthier in SE Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by billengelman, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Anyone know of a good luthier in Southeast WI? I have an old K. Meyer bass that is in serious need of a setup. I'm a newbie and have been wrestling with this bass for several months. I had the opportunity to play a beautiful old Kay with an awesome setup and it was a world apart from what I've been dealing with. I'm also considering a new (old) bass, but have no idea where to find one around here. Any suggestions?

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Take an apointment with Henry Boehm, nice guy, specialized in DB work - just moved his shop to a new location. Say hi to him on my behalf, I was very well received by him when I visited Madison, WI.

link to Henry Boehm's DB workshop

& try to check out his salsa band, I never saw them, but they're really rockin' on the demo CD. :cool:

3. sejarus

sejarus

May 8, 2002
    Milwaukee
    I'll second the recommendation for Henry Boehm. Very nice guy, and from what I can tell, just about everybody in this area goes to him.

Here's a second suggestion: Michelle Fiore, dba Classic Contrabass, Inc. She's in Wheeling, Illinois, just a few miles past the I 94/294 split, far northwest of Chicago. Depending on where you are in SE Wisconsin, she might be pretty close to you. Here' a link to her website: http://www.allthingsbass.com/

4. I've also heard great comments about Henry and Michelle (glad to see she's joining in the discussions here).

If you're in Milwaukee, you might want to give Don Linke a call. He's pricipally a guitarist, but he's taken up bass and bass repair lately, and I've heard he does a good job for things like setup and minor repairs. You can get in touch with him through the Conservatory or UWM.

Also, I have to put in a plug for the local guy here in Racine, Dean Murphy. He's done some nice work for me over the years. He's in the book.

5. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I bought a barely playable old plywood and had Henry (The Doublebass Workshop, Madison, WI) do a setup. It's magic, what a good luthier can do . When I got it back (on time) it was a different instrument. I had 2 gigs to play just a few days later and it sounded awesome and played like a dream Thank you, Henry!