Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for luthiers in Canada

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by b-monkey, Mar 23, 2005.

1. hey guys, im looking to find some luthiers in canada, hopefully in ontario and even more hopefully in ottawa, you guys know any?

2. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    The obvious question is still, why are you looking for a luthier? I'd recommened Pierre Laporte in Montréal for most stuff, but you need to be really patient... he's got a very long wait list! This tells you something about the quality of his work.

PL

3. You can always see Joe Lado in Lindsey or Vadim Rubtsov in Toronto. http://www.welcome.to/vadimhandmadebasses

I talked to Vadim a year and a half ago when I had money to go custom. I ended up buying a Lado and Thumb BO instead though... Happy about the Lado. He will make you anything you want.

4. im looking for a luthier close by because i would like to get into luthierie and would like to talk to someone in the business, maybe see what a day in the life is like

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  6. Dingwall and F-Bass are both in canada, as is Fury

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Lawrence Mollerup is Canadian, too. Out west, I think.

9. martens-koop

martens-koop

Oct 10, 2002
    Saskatoon
    I'm not sure that iether dingwall or fury would consider themselves to be Luthiers. but I do know one in ontario. his name is Feddy Gabresek (I may be wrong on the spelling of the last name, its been a long time since I've talked to him) he lives in the welland / st catharines area and has a shop called "freddy's frets" Last time I checked he had a website too. his work seems pretty good.

jmk