looking for medium amp, for not much money

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by azsfcsh, May 31, 2005.

1. azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    Well, i have recently just thought that it might be time to upgrade my amp. Right now i have a ampeg ba115 at 100watts. It's pretty loud, but when compaired to a drummer playing and a guitarist playing with a crate 4x12 with the blue voodoo head, its kind of quite. Also when i turn it up it gets really low end, which i do not like. So recently i have been looking for a cab/head for probably around $700. I have gone to many guitar centers to test the amps, and i seem to like gallien-krueger. However, what i was looking at was a bit over the price im looking at. Right now, i just want a head that sounds like a gallien-krueger, with a 4x10" cab. One question i have thought, is with the gk biamping feature, does that mean i can have 2 cabs with one head? If that is the case, i would rather have the gk head and get one cab now, and maybe another when i get more money. Right now, im hoping my parents can pay for the head, and then i pay for the cab, by buying it at guitar center, and trading my ampeg in while maybe paying a little to get the cab. Just list your thoughts on this, and possibly what sounds good for that money, that i can possibly buy at guitar center. Oh, one more thing, i play all types of music, so possibly have a amp that is equal in all sorts of music.
  2. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    for 700 you should have no problem finding more than what you want if you look into used gear.
  3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    How crucial is this part?

Only reason I ask is, assuming you want new gear, your money would likely go further - much further - at places like www.riksmusic.com and www.avatarspeakers.com....
  4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    GK would be an excellent choice.

Try and get a GK. I have ran it with 112, 115, 210 and 410 cabs and it sounded awesome through all of them.

Unless you get a GK cab that is bi-amp ready or are really into biamping I wouldn't worry about it. The bi-amping feature is just so you can use a separate cab for the highs and a separate cab for the lows. Trust me, it sounds awesome when ran full range into one cab.

Get the GK head and the look at Avatar cabinets.

Click HERE for info on Avatar.

Yup, that's what I would do.

5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    DEFINATELY get an Avatar. You have all the symptoms of someone who needs one of their cabs. I'd get the 212 and the MAG head. It'd keep it at about $600, and you could avoid shopping around. However... if you can find a used GK, then it'd be worth it.
  6. I'd say go with Avatar and a used head. I was a little skeptical but I got a B212 and it sounds awesome, is loud, and is versatile. Im using a used Peavey Firebass head but if you don't want to lug it around go for the Ashdown. If you can get your parents to buy you that GK head you have to consider the Kustom Groovebass head too.
  7. azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    thx for the comments, but i found a really good deal on another head/cab today. I got the SWR Workingman's 4004 head, with the SWR Workingpro 4x10". All together it was about $1000, but i dont have to pay for 15 months, which is good(the pro about buying from guitar center). Its really nice compaired to my ampeg, and sounds 100x better. Also my drummer is getting a new drum set as well, so i think that we will be fine for a while.
  8. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Avatar B212 and a used GK700RB. Oh wait, just noticed you got a rig. Cool, have fun with it.
  9. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    if you want specific brands....I'd get an Avatar 4x10 or 2x12 and a used trace elliot head