Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking For Moderately Priced Fretless that Sings!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Aug 13, 2001.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I was thinking of trying another fretless. I'm in the mood for getting the hang of it. I've had a cheap Yamaha 4 and a Yamaha TRB5. The TRB was great, but my middle-aged eyes couldn't see the faint lines against the rosewood. Any suggestions? I don't want to bet the farm, but I want one as good as the TRB.

2. i'm sure you'll get votes for the peavey cirrus, etc. i own a Yamaha, BBN4F which i picked up for $300 or so, and i find it to have a decent fretless sound for the money. what price range are you in exactly?

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Rick, remember playing the Kingston 5? They make a fretless version that is just as good, if not better! We should have some in stock soon, they're on order, and the price should be pretty reasonable (under $500).

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Worth the wait. I'll check back.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i would get a beefed up fender mexi-jazz. You can get one used for around $100, plus pups (an other $100), a new bridge ($20-$50), and an onboard preamp($150-300.)

6. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    Rickreyn, free advice, don't "look" at the fretboard, just listen. Helps my fretless playing a lot:D

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Good advice...when you can actually HEAR yourself. I've played in far too may situations on fretless where either the venue wasn't conducive, the monitors or monitor mix SUCKED, or everyone onstage was just too friggin' loud. In those situations, the lines are your friends, stay on the lines! ;)

Under normal hearing circumstances though, yes, the ear is better than the eye. But for those times above, and when you gotta start a tune with that REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELY high Eb (those of you with my band's CD, check out the intro to "Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing" :eek: ) and nail it - gimme my lines!

8. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    RR, Good to hear from you!! There was good advise in this thread..namely LISTEN. I know what you mean about lack of monitor signal, but it is crucial in fretless, as the "fret lines" just get you 'close' to pitch. I might have mentioned to you that I found a MIJ reissue with a superior neck and loaded it with 123's and a moon ac-1 and it do sing! (under 500 bucks) To me, fretless is like a saxaphone, in that it is capable of so much more expression than the fretted variety. Still pickin' in the churchhouse?

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    SD. I wouldn't mind going without lines. Not only does the universe of available basses expand, but it seems to be a purer method. I'm still alive and pickin'.