Looking for more bottom end..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bizzybass, Mar 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bizzybass

bizzybass

Feb 17, 2014
    I run a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 with a s
    Shuttle STL-2 210 cab. After 15 years of not playing five string I've recently entered a band where I need to again. I'm looking for a cabinet that will handle the low end better. I was thinking about moving into a 1x12 cabinet. Specifically the Avatar SB123. Would anyone like to give me their opinion on whether I'm on the right track, or should go in a different direction? I perform in bars/clubs, and private parties primarily. Any thoughts? I have attached a picture of the cabinet on currently utilizing in case anyone is not exactly sure of the one I music currently.

Attached Files:

2. Acme

james condino and BassmanPaul like this.
  3. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Two 112s will do. Or an Acme for sure. They make cabs literally called "low b".

4. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    All the premium 112 cabs I have heard sound great with low B. Remember that it is the harmonics of low B that we actually are hearing and don't think you have to find a cab that advertises it has a frequency response down to low B fundamental.
    I would question whether one would be loud enough for live and would suggest two. Of course that said as I get ready to load up my equipment for band practice and am loading a single 112. I don't mind it for rehearsal but prefer the bigger sound of two of them for live.

5. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    Acme is the one for sure but Ampeg has a few as well (410hlf).

6. I didn't have time for a longer answer when I posted "Acme" so here i the longer one...

Indeed, the B1 & B2 go down to 31 hz at -6 db. The bottom is huge on them, very pillowy if that is what you like. I had one for a bit and found the bottom overwhelming to my taste. Obviously YMMV and given what you said, that is the direction I'd look first. They aren't the most efficient cabs and at pitches that low, you need lots of power.

I sold mine and went to one of the 112 super cabs mentioned by Michael - a Genzler BA12-3 - and love the tighter bottom end of that cab. Indeed, I love everything about it. I play a 4 string so I can't compare the low B.

7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    The MAS cabs have the best low end I've ever encountered - much more to my (and bandmates/listeners) liking than a fEarful. More info here:
    Big E Speakers Part 4 - Quadraphenia

8. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Not sure why you would switch from a 210 down to a single 12. I suggest getting another one of the same cabs and using two at shows. Might be hard to find another cab so at least look at two single 12's. Cabs with a good response to 40-55 Hz can still make a 5 string sound great, just keep in mind you don't need a massive amount of sound below 80 Hz to get the B string sounding good. Try the cabinets before buying!

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You don't necessarily need special cabinets to get a good B-string tone. Try cutting your lowest frequencies a bit (anything below 80hz), maybe boost low mids a hair (150-200hz). If you are committed to 5-ing, try dialing in your sound from the B string instead of the E.

10. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    IMG_0254.JPG I am admittedly lacking in experience when it comes to all the usable cabinet options out there.
    I've owned the same Eden 2x10 XLT for about a decade - but only when I found a matching D115 w a 15 inch speaker to pair with the 210 did the fundamental bassiness of my rig open up to the point of being huge.

It's a very real sense of bass tone satisfaction - and my rig is a Grace Felix Pre > Genz Benz Neopak in the 210 and 115.

11. Alexander

Alexander Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I recently heard the Genzler Bass Array cabinets (2 112s) - they were really deep for such a small stack!

revroy likes this.
  12. bertthebassist

bertthebassist Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Bethlehem, PA
    Trying to find a light 112 that will push out the deep bottom like an old heavy set up is tough.
    Many cabinets sound great, but if you also want that really deep Low B bottom, try a Revsound 115X.
    IMO, it goes deeper than Barefaced BB2, the Subways- 115 or 112, or the Bergantino CN Series.
    The Fearful 12/6 or Aguilar SL112 might be other options, but I have not tried them yet.
    I have a Fearful 12/12/6/1 which has an awesome low end, but it is 2- 12s, not 1.

13. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    In a similar situation (looking to go from 2x10 to a pair of 1x12s) I'm curious because it seems a lot of the recommendations are for a pair of cabs. Is it the addition of a second cab taking you from 8 to 4ohms resulting in a "bigger" and deeper sound? I know things like this have been discussed ad nauseam here. Just want to make sure we're addressing the OPs concern for lower freq response.

14. bertthebassist

bertthebassist Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Bethlehem, PA
    2 speakers push twice as much air and to produce low frequencies loud, a lot of air needs to be pushed.
    A pair of speakers is popular because 1 sometimes does not have enough volume, while 2 covers the majority of gigs and sometimes all of them, depending on where you play.
    2 singles are popular because of the flexibility of taking 1 for smaller- medium situations and then carrying 2 only when you need to.
    Some just grab a light 212 for everything and that works for them.

15. dlessingmd

dlessingmd

Aug 19, 2014
    Does anyone have experience with a single Genzler bass array 12-3 vs a single Barefaced Big Baby2? I'm looking for a one cab solution and interested in how loud and how low they compare. There is lots of love for using two of either, but I'm only lifting one. The head will probably be a Genzler Magellan 800.

16. A HPF3 high pass filter will let low B have the same bottom as you get with low E through most cabs that don't give an audible 40hz.

Stumbo likes this.
  17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

TBr fdeck sells an effective and popular unit.

18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    If your 210 isn't doing it with a Streamliner 900, I don't think any 112 will be a significant enough of an improvement to make you happy either. A pair of premium 112's (or a single 212), would almost certainly get you closer to your goal.

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.