looking for more distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lateralus_, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Lateralus_

Feb 26, 2005
    Anyone use the Boss OD-20 or Line 6 DM4 with their bass. I looking for a variety of distorion, overdrive, fuzz effects in a stomp box. Any suggestions?
  2. If you have two pedals, use them together to create a thicker distortion, might solve the problem and save you money.
  3. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    most bass pedals tend to focus on one of the three: OD, dist, or fuzz... few would do all 3 exceptionally. though they are variations of clipping, for that kind of versatility you might be looking at a multi. personally, i would have a separate box for each category. cheap option: ibanez pd7 phat hed - purports to switch between clean, OD, and dist. i have one and while it isnt bad, i generally only use it as an od/boost.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like you're after a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde. Overdrive and distortion circuits independently built into one pedal with two switches that are close enough to turn one on, turn one off, or both. Switch from one to the other, add more, take some away, and it REALLY retains the bass.
  5. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    i run an EHX double muff in to a boss odb3 and crank the lows on the boss so i don't loose em from the ehx. it's really really thickk....that's what she said. :bag:
  6. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    hy tplyons, i'm currently having a regualr russion big muff at home, I love it but i'd like something more rythm, less distorted, I thought about the J&h pedal from visual sound, I read the review but i'd like to know more about the sound colors of each channel im' looking for a TS/guv'nor type of Od on channel one and a Big muff type on channel 2; would this puppy fit the game?
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IIRC that was just about the setup of the Jekyll and Hyde. The 1st channel was a tubescreamer type overdrive, and the second was a Big Muff type fuzz/distortion, IIRC. I think your setup would work just fine.
  8. Lateralus_

Feb 26, 2005
    ok I've read reviews on the J.H. pedal and the Tech 21 Bass Drive DI. Anyone use the Tech 21 Bass DI and have a opinion? Right now I'm undecided about which one fits my style of play. I want fuzz, overdrive, and distortion and everything in between in a stompbox.
  9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Lateralus, there are hundreds of threads about the Tech 21 BDDI Sansamp Bass Driver. Please do a search for more info.
    That being said, it's really more of an od than a distortion.
    sorry, I really don't think you're going to get all three of these in any pedal on the market. The three effects require different processing.
    You'll probably get one two channel pedal (barber deep fryer, vs J&h, fulltone bassdrive) and another pedal to handle the third effect/
  10. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    okay, i'm really wanting to try on of these

BTW, what does IIRC mean( sorry, i'm just a little belgian)
  11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    IIRC = If I remember correctly