1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for more High-Mids than DR Nickel Lo Rider can deliver

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Big Benner, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Hey All,

I've recently tried DR Nickel Lo Rider Medium 5-string Bass Set on my new (to me) NS CR5 on the recommendation of Dave @ Clubbass.ca (Thanks Dave!) and love them,...... but am wanting a little more mid-range bite,........... so I'm now going to begin experimenting with different strings.

I'm thinking the Dunlop Super Bright Nickel Bass Strings should be my next try?

If it helps, I liked the DR Nickel Lo Rider but kept boosting the High-Mid knob on my MarkBass CMD 102P combo amp with additional 2x10" speaker cab.

Also, I wouldn't mind a more flexible string - is the Dunlop tighter or looser than the DR?

Thanks all,

Benner

Attached Files:

michael_t likes this.
  2. Yes, you should try the Dunlop SB Nickels.
    And yes, they're more flexible than the Nickel LRs.

You should also consider trying the DR Sunbeams.

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Strongly recommend against the dunlops for what you’re looking for. Those are all about warm lowmid growl. I’d go with Lo Rider stainless (1st choice) or hi beams if you want less tension. Both work great on a spector.

4. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
  5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Dunlop SuperBright Nickels deliver what you seek!