1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for multi-band overdrive pedal. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jpc, Apr 3, 2015.

1. jpc

jpc

Nov 2, 2007
    Old World
    Hi there,

I'm somewhat happy with my overdrive setup (Barbershop into B3K) right now, but still there are things I dislike about it: I always feel the higher strings to be more overdriven than the lower strings. But I want it to be the same degree of overdrive all over my fretboard. Is that even possible?

So, I'm in the market for a new overdrive pedal, a multi-band overdrive to be precise, so I hopefully can adjust the degree of overdrive for lows/highs. Three bands and a clean blend would be ideal. So far I've found:

Only the first seems to be "overdrive" while the rest is "distiortion" type. Or is their range so that it's also good to be used as an overdrive?

What else is out there, what am I missing?

Thanks!

2. jez79

jez79

May 2, 2004
    Canada
    I suppose you should include the Empress Multidrive, you can multiband with the HP and LP toggles

Spent and Adamixoye like this.
  3. boomertech

boomertech Frank Appleton Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 8, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Brimstone Audio XD-1 and XD-2.

-Frank

4. jpc

jpc

Nov 2, 2007
    Old World
    Sweet!

5. Black Sheep all the way.

6. jpc

jpc

Nov 2, 2007
    Old World
    Right now, yes. But still, need more input to decide. Or some good clips, which I haven't found yet. ... Does it have a baked in tone or is it neutral sounding?

7. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    If you like the sound of the Black sheep, his Black Sheep Preamp has 6 bands of OD, an effects loop that can be set in series (before or after the OD) or parallel with the OD. EQ, pre and post gain, master volume, etc.

So, basically, you could have the pre's multi band EQ sit before or after your board, or even in parallel. (Even in between really depending on how you wire your rack).

Black Sheep Bass Pre-Amp : Wounded Paw, Bass and Guitar Effects and Blenders

blindrabbit likes this.
  8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The Brimstone is awesome. My favorite distortion by far. Not only does it have a crossover so you can dial in the lows and highs separately, but it's also got an added Boost so you can go from mild to wild.

Zos Kia Cultus and nshuman like this.
  9. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp

The XD-2 also has an added trim pot to make sure you don't have a volume jump right? Also, if you are afraid of its size, the XD-2 is quite smaller than the XD-1.

10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep.

I put off getting the XD-2 because I had the XD-1. But I finally broke down and got it knowing it was a little smaller and had that trim pot. Even after knowing the measurements of the XD-2 I was shocked at how much smaller it was than the XD-1.

nshuman likes this.

jpc likes this.
  12. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Are you into vintage effects? Look up a Boss Rod-10. I think there's a couple on flea-bay.

13. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    whatever you might ad ,... I think I'd still keep the barbershop in the chain ... I really like mine ... also works very well on guitar ... nice touchy tubeness , at the right settings , with the proper input levels ...

blindrabbit likes this.
  14. With the Triumvirate you can mix the clean and distortion for each band. The big knob controls the overall level of each band (basically the clean signal) and the little knob controls the distorted sound for each band. So you can dial it so it doesn't really lose much of the clean signal at all and then add a touch of grind, or you can dial it with all distortion with little or no clean signal. Very versatile.

I really like mine. Go for the bass version. I put demo videos I online found in another thread, if you're interested.....
    Anybody use a VFE Triumvirate? | TalkBass.com

jpc and bravesaint5 like this.
  15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    Brimstone XD-1 or XD-2 (two way)
    VFE Bass Triumvirate (three way)
    IMO, the XD-1 or XD-2 is a little easier to dial in, but once you set the internal trimpot frequencies on the Triumverate (it took me a long time to find my favorite freq settings) it's pretty easy too.

16. jpc

jpc

Nov 2, 2007
    Old World
    Thanks for all your feedback!

Saw a video from the guy explaining everything and I really like it.

That would be overkill, I'm just looking for a pedal right now :)

I've seen these before. There are only a few moments where they show overdriven sounds, but it sounds good then.

Didn't know you can also kind of blend in clean signals, great. All the options with the trim pots you mention in the thread - that's a lot to play around.

Obviously, lots of territories to explore. But of these pedals... only the Black Sheep is available here in Europe :sour:. Everything else I would have to import, paying customs and taxes, which is a bit too much for just trying them out. I will look some more if they're available in other European countries. In the meanwhile... any more options?

17. Weird...to me there is a tonne of time on those videos showing the overdriven sounds, and what each channel sounds like...anyway, here is some more clips of the pedal. Scroll down near the bottom of this fellow's page to find the clips (not me, just have listened to these links before):

AlanBridges's profile - Hear the world’s sounds

18. jpc

jpc

Nov 2, 2007
    Old World
    Ah, thanks man, that sounds better to my ears. I guess I a have a different definition of "overdriven". And with Excane's videos it's always way too much for me. He's mostly going for his signature sound, no matter what pedal which sounds good but is not for my needs... Anyway, here's another question (I think I read in one of the Black Sheep threads you have the peadal): does the clean blend go all the way clean and all the way overdriven? Because in Excane's video it's still a bit overdriven with the knob fully clockwise?

blindrabbit likes this.
  19. My Wounded Paw Attack Goat doesn't go 100% clean, but it does go 100% overdriven, but that makes sense to me - unless I was using the pedal as a clean boost (which would make no sense for these pedals!), then why would 100% clean be needed? On my ss/bs TAFM, the "clean" volume isn't entirely clean, and I actually think it helps the pedal and the blend sound better that way.

Anyway, I'm also inclined to agree with you on excane's videos, that sometimes it would be nice to hear some less extreme sounds, but I will say that going all out does help with hearing the character of the drive and being able to compare across pedals. Sometimes when less extreme settings are used, its tough to hear the nature of what is happening, and I find myself yelling at the screen for them to turn the gain up! :) The best vids, IMO, are ones that start at the low end of the drive, and work their way up to the very top.

I'm obviously biased, but I think the Black Sheep is worth giving a shot to. I love VFE pedals too, but this is a pedal that you can easily get over there. Plus, its Canadian, and everyone knows that Canadian things are always better! ;)

nshuman likes this.