1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for my first non-shortscale bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gorn, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    We play mostly Beatles/classic rock/some modern rock/jam session stuff recreationally with a few tiny gigs thrown in here and there. I have about 500 buckaroonies to spend on a new bass and I kinda want a 34" scale bass just to switch things up from my Epiphone Allen Woody. I'm not the least bit interested in slapping, and I just want something with really nice tone. I generally prefer deep, warm, and thumpy as opposed to bright and twangy. I liked the feel of the Squier vintage modified jazz I tried in Samash. I haven't tried the Fender FSR Standard J, but it's a Fender right? Is it worth 200 bucks more? Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

2. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

Feb 16, 2012
    Oregon
  3. Gimme4

Gimme4

Feb 27, 2011
    I also had an Allen Woody Sig, for over a year,as my only bass. I traded her a few months ago to a fellow tb'er for a full scale,an Aria DMB380. It's a mosrite copy w/ a jazz neck&p'ups. I thought I needed to play shortscale cause I have these little T-Rex hands,but i'm glad I switched,no problems getting around the neck. However, I also like deep&thump, & wish I had gotten a p-style bass. But I would still need the narrow j-style neck. Bottom line-Squier is great bang for the buck,just play before you buy. The jazz you mentioned is a made in China fender. They also have a Jaguar for 399.00 which has a p&a j p'up,check it out. I'll get another shorty cause I sure miss my woody! (uhh, whatever THAT means-lol)

4. Gimme4

Gimme4

Feb 27, 2011
    +1 to that! MP jazz kicks a**!

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    See now I'm torn cuz there's
    1) Fender Modern Player Jaguar for $350
    2) Fender Modern Player Jazz for $450
    3) Fender FSR Standard J for $500
    4) Fender Blacktop Precision or Jazz for $500
    5) Fender Standard Precision or Jazz with maple or rosewood for $550
    and Samash and Guitar Center don't have any of them for me to try.
    Ugh

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The Jaguar's short scale, nevermind.

7. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

Feb 16, 2012
    Oregon
  8. Gimme4

Gimme4

Feb 27, 2011
    The squier JAG is offered in shortscale,but also a full scale VM for 299.00. The Fender model player JAG is full-scale for 399.00.