Looking for my first REAL rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Hey guys, I'm only 15 and I've been in a band for a year now, I've mostly been playing through a small 65 watt no name brand amp and its served me well so far. However theres so little bassin it to be heard I have to mostly play something fancy in the higher ranges or slap the simplest of basslines to cut through! Thats not what bass is all about! I actually made the mistake of buying a new bass before a good amp, so I never really got what I wanted out of it! So Im looking for a cheap amp and head combo, somewhere in the range of 1000 all up, I'm probably dreaming with that figure haha. Obviously I dont want anything big (not that I can afford it anyway) because it'd be a B*tch to lug that around to pracs every week :rolleyes:

Anyway if anyone could help me out here, that'd be great!
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    check in the FAQ sticky there are a bunch of threads in there that cover opinions re: how much amplification you need, what different speaker sizes sound like, etc. not a lot of brand specific stuff, but some good reference for starting points.

anyhow, with a budget of 1 grand i'd look around at used stuff, especially used heads. the talkbass classifieds are probably the safest place to do that kind of shopping. www.prepal.com will also give you some ideas on how much a lot of used stuff should cost. used speaker cabs are a bit more risky as they take more abuse. FWIW a lot of cats love avatar speakers which aren't the best, but are relatively inexpensive and offer a lot of bang for the buck

in my opinion, you should look at getting an amp that will put out 200-400 watts into the speakers you end up using with it. i would also look at a minimum of a 1x15 or 2x10 cab, a 2x12 being even better in terms of volume.

my preferred route would be to get a head that puts out at least 200 watts into 8 ohms and 400 into 4 ohms (usually a 400 watt 4 ohm head will put out about 250 into 8 ohms). then i'd get an 8 ohm 2x10, 1x15 or 2x12. that way you can always add another 8 ohm cab later, even an 8 ohm 1x12 is great as a 2nd cabinet. 8 ohm 4x10 cabs are OK, but IMO they do better with an amp that puts out at least 400 watts into 8 ohms, even better with a "stereo" amp that can be run bridge mono into an 8 ohm load. (use one of those and an 8 ohm 4x10 and you'll be set for a long, long time). a 4 ohm 4x10 with a 400 watt mono amp would also be great, but you wont be able to add another speaker down the road unless the amp can handle a 2 ohm load, which most amps can't, (especially not cheaper ones).

Speaking of not being able to add another speaker, 4 ohm 2x12 cabs are cool, but with those you also run into not being able to expand later. I would definitely not reccomend a 4 ohm 2x10. more often than not a player ends up finding out that it won't cut the louser gigs, but they get "stuck" because their amp head won't handle anything under a 4 ohm load.

i seem to remember Oz having old peavey gear available. If you can find an old peavey mark 3 or mark 4 head those can be really cool, and can handle a 2 ohm load. The only PV cabs from that era i'd reccomend would be the deep 2x15, and the one with an 18 and two tens. the shallow 2x15 and 1x15 are so-so, and the powered 210 is neat, but heavey as sin. The old peavey TNT 1x15 combos with the black widow are also surprisingly good amps.
  3. Look into second hand peavey gear, I got a Firebass700 and 410 cab for £500 a year and a bit ago, they usually go for £400 now, so they'll probably be fairly cheap in your neck of the woods too
  4. remo

Jan 15, 2005

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Excellent choice on the GrooveBass 1200!!! :hyper: :hyper:

I have the rack mount head powering an Avatar 210 NEO and waiting for the 212 NEO to add to it later this summer. For the money, you can't beat it...best bang for the buck out there, IMO
  6. remo

Jan 15, 2005

but how much $$$ are they in Australia? He also needs a cab... I think the Peavey Combo 300 on eBay is the cheaper and better option.. dont't forget the unwritten law that every bass players first real amp needs to be a Peavey :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a Microbass for quiet practice, if that counts. :rolleyes:

I've seen the GB 1200 and Avatars on "the Bay" ...not sure of the currency exchange rate, but you figure about $800 USD......
  8. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    USD$800 = AUD$1045 and thats without shipping which (with cab and head) could easily be over AUD$500.. too dear for our young friend...

hey f'nar I really think you should get that Peavey on eBay mate... Secondhand is the way to go, you loose so much money buying new (trust me I've been there so many times).. that Peavey rig will keep you happy for ages..

manual here:

I had a Peavey TNT15 for years as my first bass rig.. solid as a rock that thing was and heaps loud enough..

Anyway bro the choice is yours I won't hassle you about it...

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

Yeah, f'nar...I'm partial to my rig, but Peavey does have good gear on the cheap...and eBay is your friend!! happy hunting
  10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Black widow speakers kick ass. You won't be disappointed by it.

Oh, but if you want a "vintage" sounding rig, the Fender Bassman will do fine as well. People snub the 50 watt bassmans, but they do get loud (though nicely distorted when loud), grindy, are solid as a rock, and can be found for decent prices. If you want a nice overdriven bass sound, go for one of them.
  11. thanks heaps guys, I will look into that peavey sure enough, might be a bit soon though, i wasnt looking to get it straighjt away, however seeing as you all say its a great deal, I shall certainly look into it. Thanks heaps!
  12. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    cool dude.. I'd jump on that Peavey if I were you...
  13. This is a kickin' combo...I own one (20 years now), and it NEVER dies. It will run a 2-ohm load and has a 1/4 inch jack for an additional cab, so you can add a 4-ohm 2x10 cab to it if you want a full stack later.

It puts out 300 watts at that 2-ohm load, and the Black Widow woofer is a fantastic speaker. I'm not kidding - my band loves this rig...the sound is very clear and defined - you have a 9 band para EQ right onboard, and the line out is very clean.

I wouldn't even think about this one if it's in your town.

just my .02 worth.