Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for my Mwah

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by badgrandad, Dec 1, 2004.

1. I tried the search and was basically over(under)whelmed by posts that didn't really answer my question so here it is!

I want to add a fretless to my arsenal, most likely a four string but I could probably cope with a five (either b-g, or e-c), and am stuck with having to buy it with my "gig money" which at this point has taken a beating due to some recent purchases. I want a bass that can get a woody growl but can also be at least a little hi-fi. I think something along the lines of an SX bass is what I can afford but haven't heard one so I don't know how they sound. I definitely would consider buying used as well. Finish and/or wood selection (i.e. looks) is secondary to sound, and I like conservative styles (no bug-on-the-windshield designs) and lined fretboard is a plus. any suggestions and sound-bites.

2. Oh and I forgot, any of you Dallas Fort Worth area Talkbassers know of a good place or places to try out a few fretlesses, the Hulen area GC has a poor selection! :bassist:

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'd take the Yamaha RBX series fretless over an SX too.

4. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas

Is Zoo Music on Garland Ave. still there/open? That's where I bought my Peavey fretless (nice bass @ a low price) about 12-14 years ago. - I live about 50 miles north of Dallas, so I don't get down there too often. But when I do... :D

Just a suggestion. I try to stay away from GC - at least the one in Plano and the one on Beltline & the ND tollway.

You'll probably be better off shopping the little non-chain stores (IMO). Good luck finding a fretless!

5. if you don't mind the 35" scale length, a used Peavey Cirrus is a decent choice. fret lines and everything!

the Dean basses aren't bad, either, if you're looking to save even more bread. a lot of output in the pickups and they have several fretless models to choose from.

from the lows,

Stew

6. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I'll second that. I've wanted no other fretless except maybe a buzz. Mmmm wenge with just the bridge pickup on rounds... heavenly. The only cirrus I'd keep if I decided to move on...

Troll

7. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I'll second making the trip to Garland. I was at Zoo Music a couple weeks ago and they had a lot of stuff! Larry Morgan is right next door in the same building and has some higher end stuff too. I drove all over the Metroplex on that trip and Zoo/Morgan was definately the highlight of the day.

8. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    I third the advice: Larry Morgan / Zoo

Tone woods IMO Alder, Mahogany are really resonate although for me I tend to favor Rock Maple and Bubinga. Let your ears be your guide.

Some type of naturally hard (ebony, kingwood, pau ferro) or chemically enhanced is a must. Flatwounds will save your board but sound lik chit in my book. Rounds will destroy your board.

9. Brian S

Brian S

Nov 11, 2003
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I don't know what kind of music you play, but you might consider a Fender Jazz. I was in the same boat, having to buy one with my gig money. I bought a MIM one about 2 months ago with lined fretboard and have been very pleased with it. They normally sell for about $420 but mine was on clearance at Guitar Center and I picked it up for $325. It has a nice growl to it and that wonderful mwah sound.

10. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps
    the ibanez Gary willis bass is a great instrument, you may be able to fine a used GWB1 for $1000

the korean version is a GWB35 is a $600ish at music123....MF doesn't have them in stock

i love my GWB1 it's a GREAT instrument...

click here for a sound sample of me on the GWB1 :D 2.6MB

11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Used Carvin, No contest.

12. +1

13. I'll have to agree with both Denson and sargebarker. every Willis I've picked up has played and sounded great. one of my students picked up a used Carvin LB-76F and its tone was crazily beautiful!

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm not a big fan of Zoo Music. They sold me my first bass - a Lotus P bass copy, instead of a Peavey that I was looking at. I was a small kid, and the Lotus weighed 8 tons and had a HUGE neck. It turns out that it had previously been put on layaway, and it was paid in full, and the original guy just never picked it up. So they made double the profit on a crappy bass selling it to a total beginner.

On top of that, most of their inventory is in total disarray. Go to Larry Mogan Music - right next door!

And buy a Std Fender P or J. Great bang for the buck, or check out the Yamaha stuff. Pretty cool.

15. Bassius

Bassius

Nov 6, 2001
    usa
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar amps

i have an LB76F too

MP3

16. man, I had one for years and finally sold it to a student when it became obvious that it was never going to be played (once I had the Bee 8). great working bass! also good in the studio.

from the lows,

Stew

17. Bassius! That MP3 comes fairly close to what I am looking for! Is your Carvin one with the piezo or not. Is it the 34" scale? And what strings to you have on it? :hyper:

18. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    :eek: Forget close... that IS the tone I've been trying to coax out of my _____ fretless. That's a GWB1 stock, no alterations? I believe I've found what I'm looking for. . . awesome clip, by the way, and thanks for leading me to where I want to go. . .