Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for neck advice!!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ES-1, Aug 25, 2003.

1. ES-1

ES-1

May 17, 2002
    Before I get beat up by the luithers, let me say I'm not trying to take away jobs from anyone.I have a plywood bass with a fence post neck. I would like to take the neck and finger board down to a playable size myself as I don't have the money to pay for the work. Can anyone give me the dimension for a Kay or Englehart neck?:bassist:

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
  3. ES-1

ES-1

May 17, 2002
    Thanks Bob for info. Can you tell me does the Kay/Englehart fingerboard have an angle drop under the E string. Mine has an angle (not sure of degree of slope) under the E string. I'm considering planing down the neck to remove most or all of the angle and leaving only a "crown" to the finger board. Any thoughts on this?

4. Hey, ES-SO

This is friendly advice, meant to save You the money for buying another fingerboard plank and having someone to shape it for You.

Planing a DB fingerboard is one of the most difficult and challenging jobs one could imagine.
    Leave the planing and shaping of the FB to professionals. Otherwise be sure You have a spare board ready at hand when You start ruining Your present one.

Start with thinning the neck, if You have a strong urge to do something.

R2

PS. in cases like this, I like to say:
    " I don´t have the money to do it myself "

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The current Engelhardt fingerboards do not. As already pointed out, mucking with fingerboards can be a dangerous hobby, and I don't think having the bevel style board is really any problem.

6. If you've come to the double bass from electric bass, any DB neck is going to feel like a post by comparison, especially if you're used to wrapping your thumb around a Fender Jazz- size neck.

FWIW, my advice would be to leave the neck alone. Excess thinning may result in warpage, or adversly affect the instrument's sustain or ability to stay in tune. Spend some time on proper left hand technique (with thumb behind the neck) and you will probably find the neck size is no longer an issue.

After some time on DB, electric bass necks will feel like pencils to you.

7. ES-1

ES-1

May 17, 2002
    Thanks Eric and Bob for the advice. I did come from the electric bass tribe and now at 52 yo I'm realizing a dream. I lost parts of my left hand fingers to a mortar accident and set around for years feeling sorry for myself. I saw the banjo picker for the BG band Mountain Heart and knew I had nothing to complain about. Thanks again.

8. There was a banjo player that used to play with Doyle Lawson's band that had virtually no fingers on his left hand, I think his name was Barry Abernathy. Incredible player. Could we be talking about the same person?

Django Reinhardt also did amazing things with a very gnarled left hand.

Hopefully you'll come to love the sounds you make with the instrument and be inspired to overcome your obstacle.

9. tsolo

tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    That's him. Great player. There's also a fiddle play - I can't recall his name just now - that has only nubs on his left hand. Uses a brace on his fiddle to hold it up and playes it kinda like a dobro or something. If I recall his name, I'll post it. Got it - Roy Thackerson. My dad would play in contest against him when i was a kid and i'd watch just amazed. I apologize for hijacking this thread.

10. ES-1

ES-1

May 17, 2002
    It's great to hear of pickers and players who overcome what is dealt to them and become the encouragement for people like me.

11. Right, man
    It´s encouraging for all of us. I, for example, can´t blame any physical disabilities for my poor playing..
    Before You told, I didn´t have a clue about Your special circumstances. But I think because of that, it´s even more important to evaluate the measurements of the neck and the fingerboard shape with a luthier. That can be of enormous help to Your playing.
    Keep going, and all the best to You.

R2