1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for neckband / behind-the-neck in-ear monitors. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Photona, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Photona

Photona

Jan 10, 2018
    Hey there.

I'm a live performer, and I love my in-ear monitors. However, I am very active on stage, and they pull out and fall out when I'm doing my thing live. I would like to have a neckband IEM so that the monitors can easily be put on, and will be held into my ears during performances.

I am using the comply foam tips, and they are great. Now I just need to have it all held in place solidly as I thrash around.

I've seen a thread on here devolve into what IEMs people like in general, without addressing the actual issue of whether a quality neckband IEM exists.

The type of neckband I am talking about looks like this: Buy the Philips ActionFit Sports headphones SHQ4300WS/27 Sports headphones

I'm not looking for the wireless type with a collar and wires to each earbud. I'm looking for a system set up exactly as pictured in the link I provided, but with way better monitors attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    I like the idea...
    I've never seen any.. you might be able to customize a cheaper pair you buy by epoxying in better earbuds onto the behind the head band of another pair.
    I move around quite a bit and find that if I have the IEMs with wires to make the first few inches rigid really helps. Theat goes over and behind your ears.. .then behind your head use a small rubberband or short zip tie to keep the hearbuds tight to your head... .then run the cable down the inside of your shirt to not catch on anything... I haven't had them come out since going that route.

71iqn9wSY-L._SX522_.

3. Photona

Photona

Jan 10, 2018
    Ah! Stiffening the cords with wires is an EXCELLENT idea....

I'm looking into cutting apart a pair of neckband headphones that I have and using epoxy, as you said, to mount the IEMs to the band. If I do that, I will be sure to post a picture of the mod and let you know how it works!

Any more ideas, anyone? Anybody seen a manufacturer that makes a neckband IEM setup?

Thanks, Scottkarch, for the feedback!

4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    I have NEVER seen one of those from ANY IEM vendor.. my guess is you'd have to make something yourself.
    Best I've seen is a "stiff" band that goes around the ear, but they are each ear.

5. Photona

Photona

Jan 10, 2018
    Yes, I'm gonna give the stiffeners a shot for sure. Thanks for the feedback!

6. There are a few companies out there that will turn universal IEMS to custom ones by making a custom sleeve for your IEMS. Check this out:

I have custom in ear monitors and trash about on stage also and there is no way those suckers are falling out.

7. Photona

Photona

Jan 10, 2018
    Thank you for your suggestion, looking into it! :)