Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for new bass combo.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tommiaho, Nov 23, 2003.

1. tommiaho

tommiaho

Nov 18, 2003
    Finland
    I'm looking for a new bass combo for myself.
    Combo should be:
    not too heavy
    over 100 watts (or just LOUD!)
    "Cheap" (Less than 800 euros/dollars)

Because I play metal, combo should be quite powerful. No 300 watts or something like that, because I use it only in our training garage and maybe in small gigs.

There is some that I've considered:
    Ampeg B100R
    Ampeg BA115
    Hartke Kickback 15
    Warwick Sweet 15

THANK YOU.

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'd recommend any of the 2 Ampegs you mention. Try to A/B them and pick up the one you like the most. I love both. I chose the B-100R out of these.

Cheers
    JL

3. tommiaho

tommiaho

Nov 18, 2003
    Finland
    Yea, I've heard only good about B100R but it's doesn't look so good. I don't like that vintage-look...
    But some people say that BA115 has some problems with high notes. What do you say about that?

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    What I know about the BA series is that many users seem to complain they get a hiss when they crank up the treble control. I didn't use this amp enough to tell you about this issue.

I mentioned the B-100R because you had mentioned it yourself in your selection. Let's keep the design apart, just let me tell you that, for what I need, the B-100R is the best combo I've seen, period. Amazing tone, deep and warm. Surprising loud.

Cheers,
    JL

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you want loud with good tone, get a Yorkville XM-200, or the new XS-400 combo.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ashdown electric blues fall into your range and they are lovely.

7. What about GK, Peavey, Trace...? I haven't been impresed with Hartke or B-100R.

I'd personally recommend GK.

Jure

8. yah i agree wiht ox i say go yorkville. either the new xs400 although it is 400 watts its in your price range. if you dont want that many watts you can get the yorkville xm200 with the 15 inch speaker or the xm200t with 2 10 inch speakers. the xm200t is about $40 more expensive than the xm200 i was looking at these amps but have decided to go wiht the xs model just because i want volume anyway hope you find something you like.
    shayne

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'm goin for the xs400h not just for the volume, but for the tube OD.:bassist: