Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for new combo: Ashdown MAG C115-300?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jun 30, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I tried searching for this but didn't get enough opinions on this amp.

I currently have an SWR Workingmans 2004 head/Workingman's 2x10 setup. For a while now I've found it really lacking in bottom, "oomph" and is quite "sterile" (as I've heard alot of people describe SWR). So I was looking into getting a 15", preferably a combo. I never play out, but I would like something with decent power in case I have had an ocassional jam session at the house.

What is everyone's opinion on the Ashdown MAG C115-300? From what I DID find, it seems pretty favorable, and the price is nice, plus it has twice the power of what I'm using right now, which I think would be more than enough, should I ever need it. What would you describe the tone as, and is it reliable? I did find someone who said it was noisy, but no one responded to him to back it up.

2. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    It doesn't have twice the power as it sits. The combo by itself is 180 watts, you need an external cab to power it to 300 watts. I have played both items you mentioned and the SWR has more punch and bottom than the Ashdown.

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Did you play the SWR 15? My other option would just be to get a workingman 15 cabinet. But I would still want something not so sterile sounding, and alittle warmer/rounder.

4. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    I have played the SWR Workingman combo 15. More watts than the Ashdown by itself and a better sound in my mind.

5. (beware: it's my second amp, the first was a peavey microbass, so I can only compare to the few others I've heard, not played)

I've got that MAG combo as my main amp, and I like it. The 15" gives it a nice deep sound, but I find it lacking in the highs (think everything above 15th fret). They tend to go muddy real easy if you don't damp your strings when you're switching notes. (might be my squier P, not sure on that). I do californication with the band and I find it's the only song I have to fiddle around on my EQ for because I can't get it to sound good otherwise.

But I like a good low-end growl in my lines, and it's perfect for that.