Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for new compact 1x15's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amper, Feb 27, 2005.

1. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    OK, I think I'd like to finally get off my duff and replace my cabinets. The search is narrowed down to three contenders:

1. SWR Son of Bertha, 350W
    2. Fender Pro 115, 350W
    3. Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 115 Deep, 400W

I can't seem to find any reviews online for the Fender (probably because it's so new). Avatar no longer lists their CB115, which I had been considering, but I've never heard an Avatar cab in the flesh. The SoB I've heard, and I haven't tried the Mesa yet. My main rig these days is SWR 'Stella into SWR Power 750, and my other rig is a Trace Elliot V-Type head.

It would be nice to have the SWR cabs to match the SWR amps, but at $600 street, I'm wondering how the new Fender (at $450) compares. The Mesa cabs also run about $600, but they don't have mouse fur, which I hate, but will live with if I have to...

I intend to use two of these cabs together to better match the output of the Power 750. My current Trace Elliot cabs can only handle 400W between them.

Anyone care to share their experiences with any of these cabs? Please?

2. clearskies2

clearskies2

Jan 11, 2005
    chicago,IL
    I had the great chance a few months back to try out 2 of those at the same time. I tried a 750x side by side with the son of bertha and the mesa powerhouse. After about an hour, I was convinced the mesa held its own a little better. At high volumes, the swr broke up a little or "farted" out as they say. This was without changing anything on the face of the amp. I literally swapped inputs and finally chose the mesa after all, even though I wanted to initially buy the SWR due to product compatability (if there is such a thing). Now I run the SWR through a Goliath III on top, and a Mesa 1x15 on the bottom. I'm happy with my purchases, but I'm sure that as long as YOU like the sound, that is what's best for you. I know we could all go into our own thread that any brand out there either rocks or sucks. Good luck with your choice. I'm sure they are all good quality choices.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    If you really are set on compact 15 cabs, you owe it to yourself to check out the Bag End S15-d. $400 new and anywhere from $250 up used.

4. I bought a mint one w/cover for $299.00 shipped...fabulous deal, in my opinion, and I love it. Very compact, light and easy to transport.

5. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    EBS have some fine 15 cabs, a little pricey perhaps

6. appler

appler Guest

The Bag End S15-D is definitely an awesome compact 15" cabinet. It's tight, surprisingly punchy, and lightweight. You can find them in the $275-$400 range, used or new. Check them out! I got mine from Chris (cb56) and I'm loving it. I'm sure IvanMike will chime in about them, too.

7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I just sold my SWR Big Ben and replaced it with a Schroeder Mini 12(No Horn). I use a SWR Bass 750. These little cabinets are way beyond belief. I ran my Mini 12 alone with my Bass 750 in a room with about 200 people. It covered so completely I and my band was amazed. I went to the computer the next day and ordered a 1212 for larger gigs. I would recommend thinking about the Mini 12+(with the Horn) instead of the SWR. You will not be let down and at 26 pounds your back will thank you too.

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Of your listed choices, tonally, the Mesa blows the others out of the water IMO. It's easily one of my favorite 115's. Very even and deep with all the room-filling thump you want of a 115.

I don't know that any of them are particularly compact... At least not in comparison to the Bag Ends.

9. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Your review is the only one I've seen anywhere that directly compares the two. I guess I'm going to have to head down to a local dealer that carries all three brands with my full rig and do a little comparo.

Thanks to everyone for the reponses!

10. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I mean compact as opposed to full-size 1x15's, you know, the big ones that are generally the size of a 4x12. My two compact TE cabs (1153 and 2102) fit nicely in the back seat of my car, but while two full-size 1x15's might fit (I used to use a Fender Bassman 115 and a mid-size Pearce), I like to put my rack on top, and even though I'm over 6 feet tall, putting my 90 lb. rack up that high kinda freaks me out...plus the compact 1x15's are generaly a bit deeper, so they give better support for the heavy rack--I think all three of the units I'm looking at are around 18.5" deep, as opposed to 16.5 for my current TE cabs, and even less for some others I've seen.

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    These aren't too expensive, and the quick response of the neodymium driver might add clarity that's absent from the typical 15". I have a GK Neo112, and cannot believe the detail, but it's a little shy on the low end (no huge surprise there), so I might add the Neo115.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Bergantino HT115 is fairly compact, and a killer sounding cab, from what I have heard. It was recently discontinued, but you may still be able to find one.

Dr. Bass also makes some extremely compact 1x15's. I have two custom cabs from Marc (2x10 and 1x15) and they are super compact and light.

13. Rob Buys

Rob Buys

Sep 24, 2014
    I own a powerhouse 115. Yes very nice cab!!! I have never owned the others. I mainly gig with my Ampeg classic series 115 which is nice but only handles half the power of the boogie. I once paired the two
    cabs (using my Hartke Ha3500) for an outdoor gig, very nice indeed!!

14. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    These would be used only, but Trace Elliot 1153T are excellent cabs and pretty compact.

15. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    2005 thread :laugh:.