Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for new head and cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazz Lover, Feb 12, 2005.

1. What is my best bet for an inexpensive head and cab setup? I am looking for something along the lines of a 200 or 300 watt head and a 210 or maybe 410 cab. I play mostly fingerstyle rock.

2. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    http://www.Avatarspeakers.com

That answers your cab hunt.

As for a head... well, what's your overall price range? What kind of power are you competing with? and What size shows are/will you be playing?

3. I am looking for something in the 300 to 400 dollar range. Possibly up to 500. Most of my playing will be done in small clubs but I will be using the same setup for outdoor shows. I need to be able to compete with 50 watt Marshall tube heads with 4 12's and loud drummers.

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    You usually need 12's or 15's for outdoors. It's tough.

I suggest you pick up an Avatar B115. You wont really cut through too great on stage.... but you'll be happy you have it when you play outdoors. Or you could try for the B212. Its a good standalone cab.

As for an amp... the cheapest way to go is pre-power, if you wanna be satisfied for a long, long time. If you want something smaller, you can look into Peavey, I guess.

My suggestion:
    -Any cheap preamp you can find used... if you wanna go new, look into a Sansamp RBI or BBE BMax
    -QSC RMX850. $300 new... you could probably get away with $150-$200 used.
    -Avatar B115 or B212. Probably around $300 or so new.
    That will have you at 600-800Watts.

5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
  6. I went to avatarspeakers.com as I was recommended and found that they have a deal on the Aguilar Mag 300H head for $288 and free shipping with purchase of a cab. I was thinking of matching this with the Delta 210. Any thoughts? Also, I am leary of buying anything without being able to try it first. Does anyone have any experience dealing with customer service from this company?

7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Avatar is great, e-mail Dave (the owner) and he can answer anything you could want about what he sells. I called him one day to place my order and he loaded it on the truck himself for me so it would be shipped that day.

Great sounding cabs for the money, just with they had speakon, but that's nitpicking.

That Aguilar and Avatar combo should be a great combo. He has a 14-Day trial as well so if you don't like it you can send it back no problem.

8. Thanks for the input. It is nice to have some reassurance from someone who has been there before.

9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I'd go for the 2x12 over the 1x15 for sure. The 2x12 will push more air, be louder, handle more watts, sound better on the mids, and still do a low B...

10. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    +1 on the 2x12. My next cab will be a 2x12 more than likely. I'd like to try them with some of the new Eminence US/UK series Swamp Thangs.