Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for new, lightweight head, 600-700W.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sammy Camden, Apr 4, 2003.

1. I'm in the market for a new, lightweight head, 600-700W into 2ohm. I want to keep the weight around 25#s, give or take a few. I don't mind solid state, or hybrid, but I can't stand the sterile sound of SWRs and the like. I don't need bi-amping. I don't need dual power channels. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles. And I don't want to hock the farm to buy it.

I'm very old school in my tone preferences. I primarily use Fender P-Basses, and I always run a mute on the strings, under the bridge cover. Think Ampeg here on a long term scale (I've been using Ampeg since 1962 as my primary amps). I play Country and 50s/60s Rock and Rock-A-Billy.

After a lot of looking, reading, checking specs, scouring websites and threads, I think I may have narrowed it down to a few. The new Genz-Benz 600 looks like it might be a contender. The Mesa M-pulse 600 is another one. At an extreme, the Fender Bassman 1200S might also be included, but I think it might be a little overkill. (If Ampeg ever releases the PB-800, it could be a contender as well. But that doesn't look likely.)

But, I haven't been able to find them to play them. So, I'm asking for a little help here. What experience do any of you have with these two amps mainly, the GB-600, and the M-Pulse 600? Thanks for your help and inputs.

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I tested the boogie on a gig a couple of weeks ago, paired with an SWR 4x10 cab and it had lots of power and good sound. We were in a small club, so I didn't turn it way up, but it was loud (damn guitar player) and i still had lots of room left. It moved a lot of air and was sweet and tasty, although it wasn't cheap. I believe it may have been more than 25 lbs. though. Good looks, good warranty and good tone, but you pay for it.
    :p

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    You gotta PM!

:D

4. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Sorry, I'm new to this. what do you mean exactly?

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Sorry, I was referring to Sammy.

PM's are private messages that are sent through the message board.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sammy, any progress?

7. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    The Eden WT550 is 600 watts into 2ohms. Its also compact at 18lbs and 12"x12"x3.5". I haven't seen any feedback regarding this head as they are somewhat new but people speak very highly of the WT400.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    WT400 that went to the gym.

:D

;)

i.e.: It kicks arse!

9. Yeah! I made a purchase a week ago. After going around to a number of stores, playing quite a few amps, posting here and on a few other forums, reading as much as I could find, I bought a Genz-Benz GBE-600.

I was very impressed with the sound at the store. The weight was right in the ball park. The price was more than right. Bass Player Magazine also had a lot of good things to say about it recently. And, I've used it at two band practices so far with a 1x15 cabinet and was still very happy with the results.

I'll be using it on a gig the 24th of this month. I'll then have a much better idea as to it's real potential. I've got high hopes. I'll post again after the gig.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Sammy, how did the gig go?