Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for New Speaker Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big Benner, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Hey all,

To those who use Schroeder speaker cabinets, if I wanted to replace my late 90's Yorkville 2x10 and 1x15 cabs, what should I look for? Any other suggestions other than Schroeder (Acme maybe)?

I like the idea of having 2 cabs, bring one for gigs with good PA support and bring along two cabs for bad PA or no PA support.

I'd also love for one of the cabs to fit into the trunk of my 94 Chev Cavalier along with my bass in a gig bag and my amp head in a small red hardshell suitcase. I can already do that with my 2x10,... out of sight out of mind and it would be nice to keep it that way. I believe the dimentions of my Yorkville 2x10 are 15" x 23" x 15.5" and it weighs in at 63lbs. Something the same size but lighter would be great.

I don't have any problems with the sound of the Yorkvilles, but I figure that they are roughly ten years old and they're getting heavier and heavier. :)

I'd be putting all of my 5 string basses (Ken Smith, OLP, fretless Lakland) into a SWR SM900 into the cabs in a bunch of different projects and stages, so my tone refers to something that is moderately accurate to what I put into the cabs. Like I said, my Yorkvilles sounded good, but perhaps I haven't heard any other bass speakers in awhile.

I guess my price point would be total under $1000 ($500 each cab) and I would like to try out the cabs here in Toronto, Canada.

Any thoughts or suggestions?