1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for new strings to try out

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kombo, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    I've decided to stray from buying random strings from GC and I'm going to try out a bunch of new strings. I'd like some suggestions on what to try out.

All of these strings are stainless steel round wounds, .45 - .105 gauge.

Rotosounds
    Blue Steels
    DR
    D'Addario
    Dunlop Super Brights
    Ernie Ball

Thanks guys! Kombo

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Try Labella steels. Similar to rotos but less initial zing and they settle nicely to a really beefy tone.

3. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    Can do.

4. The ones on your list are ones I('ve) roll(ed) with. For string longevity, I'd rate the Rotos the worst. If you do like the Rotos, try the Marcus Miller Dunlop Super Brights for better longevity.

5. Kombo

Kombo

Feb 29, 2016
    Akron, OH
    Okay! Noted!

6. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Dean Markley Helix S/S are good strings
    as well as Fodera S/S,
    and if you like stiffer strings, there's Dr LowRiders,
    and DR High Beams S/S besides.

eriky4003 likes this.
  7. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I've used all except the Ernie Ball strings. For 4 string, I settled on Rotosounds RS66s and Blue Steels. The DM Blue Steels stay sharp longer, but tonally, I found them very similar.

8. Are there tonal goals you are looking for, or are you just wanting to try strings?

9. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Well, my suggestion would be to try something totally different, as opposed to 6 different brands of the same type of string that's probably the same type of string you use now in a 7th brand, but I am the evangelist at the airport for the religion of nylon tapewounds. ETB92's will fit right on with no nut-filing.

10. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Whatever you do, DON'T buy Elixirs because you obviously enjoy changing your strings often.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Try Dunlop SuperBrights first. That way you can just stop there and save your money, as you won't find a better string! :) :smug::woot::laugh::D

AstralBirth and unclebass like this.
  12. I like the DM Blue Steels. They last a long time too.