1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for new vocal monitor - K10, ZLX-12P?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by bdplaid, Jan 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Hiya,
    I'm considering the QSC K12 and K10, but they're more than I want to spend.

How do you guys like the EV ZLX-12P? Do you know the actual power on the thing, rather than the generic "1000w" which we all know is BS.

And about the K10; to those who use one as a vocal monitor, how do you like it? I heard one at a GC, but the salesman was playing music through it which I think is not a good representation of using it as a vocal monitor. But with music, the low end sounded boxy.

thanks!

2. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    If you have the budget get the k10 the event elx is a closer comparison. I think they sound pretty good as vocal monitors used k12s k10s and k8s as monitors and all of themy were good.

bdplaid likes this.
  3. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    I use a single ZLX-12P for vocals during rehearsal in a smallish room and it just barely keeps up with drums, bass, guitar, and keys. As just a vocal monitor in closer proximity, it should be a really good fit and a good value.

bdplaid likes this.
  4. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    But not sure I understand, if it barely keeps up with the band and it's only doing vocals, how is that different from being used as a monitor?

thx.

5. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    It's in a corner of the room and it is a bit quiet on the other side of the room. If you are using it as a monitor where you're standing near it, it should be much better.

Of course, a higher end speaker like the QSC will probably work better, but two ZLX-12P would be better still for the same price.

bdplaid likes this.
  6. Dave Wightman

Dave Wightman

Jan 21, 2017
    New Jersey
    If you can find one, I personally use an Alto SXM112a for my vocal monitor and it is great! It is nice and compact, loud enough for a personal monitor, and it has 16 EQ presets built into it to help adjust to whatever stage you might be on.

7. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    We've been using a set of ZLX12p as the monitors for our Classic Rock foursome for a couple of years now and they've easily done the job. K-10s make great monitors but they are a lot of dough for that usage.