1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

looking for old music...

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by bobsax, Apr 11, 2019.

1. bobsax

bobsax

Jan 16, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    What is your favorite method for researching tunes?

I use spotify but it is always trying to introduce me to new music.
    It's almost like they want to discourage you from looking for specific tunes.
    Why can't they have an advanced search (Apple use to have it) so you can look for all the recordings of a certain tune?
    And honestly even if you manage to get a decent list you'll probably get many.many versions of the same song. You should be able to filter that out?
    Depending on the title some searches are impossible. Try searching for "Sugar" by Stanley Turrentine. You get mostly explicit rap and hip hop that aren't even titled Sugar.
    "Sugar" + jazz/ all Songs is a very small list and I know there are lots of indi recordings of it. You get better results with Youtube sometimes .
    Has anybody tried Youtube music?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Sugar Stanley turrentine - YouTube
    First thing that pops up.

Anyway, youtube is a dangerous rabbit hole, you can get stuck in there for DAYS. I generally use the methodology I followed back when you had to buy records. If I heard a record I liked, I looked for other things with the same personnel. Then I looked for records that had one of those players on it (or the rhythm section or the combination of front line players etc.) with different people on it. Which then introduced me to new players which I could then chase down in similar fashion. Which is kind of how John McLaughlin got me to Steve Grossman.
    Youtube makes it easy, generally whoever posted the one track you like posted a bunch of other tracks that THEY liked, so that's one rabbit hole. Then you've got the sidebar recommendations of what the algorithm thinks you're interested in, which is another rabbit hole. Then you've got the comments sections for both THOSE rabbit holes and sometimes folks will do the "if you liked THAT, you should check out THIS", which is a whole new set of rabbit holes.

Like Dickens said, it's the best of times and the worst of times...

bobsax and Sam Sherry like this.
  3. I use Youtube to research songs I know the titles too.

LBS-bass and bobsax like this.
  4. Jmilitsc

Jmilitsc Gold Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Fairfield County, CT
    YouTube and Apple Music for me are best for this use case

bobsax likes this.
  5. Well... since your title contains 'old', you surely shouldn't miss Lomax archives.
    Cheers!

bobsax and Mgaisbacher like this.
  6. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    I use allmusic.com to find the track listings and personnel of albums/songs I’m interested in.

7. Discogs has good info.

Carl Hillman likes this.
  8. PatrickC

PatrickC

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Re searching using Spotify. You can filter your searches in a variety of ways that Spotify doesn't seem to promote. To use your example of searching for "Sugar", you could narrow it by entering any or all of the below filters,

track:sugar genre:jazz artist:stanley turrentine album:sugar (no space before or after the colon)

If you still see results under the songs category that have "sugar" in the title but followed or preceded by other words, i.e. "Brown Sugar" or "Sugar Cane", you could narrow your search using the minus sign to exclude those words...

track:sugar -brown -cane

For a different type of example where you are searching for a multiple word song title such as "I Want a Little Sugar in My Bowl", you could make it only go with songs that have that full phrase by using quotes...

track:"I want a little sugar in my bowl"

I reality though, titles consisting of one common word like "Sugar" are particularly difficult to get good search results if you're looking for a variety of artists covering the tune, but in many cases the above techniques can be useful.

As far as the multiple versions of the same tune, I don't know how to get around that, sucks.

marcox likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021