Looking for old speaker tone.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have an '65 Ampeg B15-N that's all original. I take it to practice every once in awhile so I'm kinda worried about the original speaker. I'd like to get a replacement speaker that would kinda keep the original tone.

Could anyone recommend a replacement that would keep that original old tone but be more rugged. Thanks! Jerry J
  2. Check out this one. Since Eminence bought CTS long ago, this Legend B15 speaker may be an upgraded version of the CTS square magnet. I've been eyeballing it, but I'm no expert.

http://www.eminence-speaker.com/Pages/Legend/leg b15.html

And if your B15N came with a CTS square magnet speaker, how bout looking at these 15" Magnavox speakers made by CTS in 1967 and letting me know if you see any differences? I really want to build a B25B cabinet with them.

Found this here:

Part Number : P-AB158
    Price : $ 74.30 EA

Description : SPEAKER, EMINENCE, LEGEND, 15", 300W, 8 OHM, 48HZ TO 4KHZ

[Edited by throbbinnut on 11-07-2000 at 09:41 PM]
  3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Hi Chris, We talked about this on the Weber BB. I just went down and looked at the speaker in my B-15 and it's the same except the cone has no ribs and and it is black.

Thanks for the tip on the CTS. Yes Eminence did buy out CTS so this may be the replacement. Jerry J