Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for options....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by McHack, Nov 22, 2004.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    When I first finished up my PJ custom, I originally wanted to put Rotosound 66's on, but they're not long enough to accomodate being strung thru the body.

So, my local guru suggested I try some SIT stainless Rock Brights. He was putting in the bridge, & doing to do the initial setup for me... & the strings had to be ordered...

When, I first played it... I noticed somethings... First off, the action was lowere than what I used to. Also, the strings were lighter than I was used to. These are things I can get used to, but the thing that REALLY bugged me, was the strings were REALLY zingy. I thought, ya know, I'll just go play it for a while, & see how I feel about it after a thorogh eval.

Its been a few months now, They still sound like new.. Great wear life... Even tho, the action is a little low for ME, personally...But, these strings are STILL really zingy.

Even tho, I modified my techinique to accomodate, I'm still getting finger transfer, clank & too much zing. It's so significant that I can't really dig in... BUT, I have grown the really like the feel of these lighter strings.

So, now that I've gone thru all of that, can anyone make a suggestion for a string which will do ALL of the following:

4 string stainless, has long wear life, long enough to accomodate stringing thru the body, light gauge, but NOT OVERLY zingy.

2. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    If I may ask, why are chasing down stainless strings? Sounds like you need a set of DR Nickel Loriders. I would never play a set of strings I was unhappy with for months.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, Nickle strings tend to die substantially faster that stainless strings do.

Interestingly, when I asked my local guru about DR strings, he indicated that when he tried them, (years ago) they had really bad QA problems. He'd had more than one pack, loose the ball off the end.. Since then, he's sworn off DR's.

4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I wouldn't swear off something based on one data point unless it was through my own experience or trial. If its the zing you dislike, and you want longer life, maybe try Elixir Poly. I like those strings very much, but of course you might not. I despise a zingy string, whicih for me means no stainless. But long life is also nice, and I've had great luck with DR LR's. And my Elixirs have lasted for many many many months...I think last set was on for over a year. Very very slow change in tone. It won't cost you much to try the DRs and you might find a set of used Elixirs that someone is dumping because they don't like the "feel" of the coating.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Thing is, my Lakland came w/ SS strings. They're a little stiff, not overly zingy, but they last for EVER... I'd go with them, but the extra-stiffness takes away from the FEEL of the SIT's I liked.

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I CAN go thru the bridge. I guess its more of a, "well, i built it like that,,, so might as well use the feature".

Maybe I'll just get a lighter gauge of the Lakland SS's I'm familiar with. Then, if I don't like those, I could try a few other things... maybe get some Roto 66's & string thru the bridges...