1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Looking for passive, P-J, with master volume and blend

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beany, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Beany

Beany

Nov 16, 2010
    Does anyone make a stock, passive, 4-string bass with a P-J configuration, master volume, blend and master tone controls? No pre-amps or 'bass-boosts' wanted.

2. Not that I've seen, but why not just find the bass you want and mod it yourself or have someone else do it?

3. Aelfwine

Aelfwine

Jul 21, 2016
    Attached Files:

PsyDocHill and jd56hawk like this.
  4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    GC-P4
    The site says "toggle" but I believe another TB'er just got this bass and stated it is a blend control. No tone control though.

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    It could be. I had a Fender Passive PJ about 10 years ago, but it was wired vol-vol-tone, not vol-blend-tone

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    TrevorOfDoom likes this.
  7. Beany

Beany

Nov 16, 2010
  8. Beany

Beany

Nov 16, 2010
    Already done that once. May do it again. Just wondered if I could buy something like that off the shelf.

9. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, I have one of these. Very nice, but it IS volume-volume-tone.

10. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    If you find a bass you like, except the controls are vol-vol-tone - modifying that to vol-blend-tone is a ridiculously easy mod. It's something you could do yourself in 15 minutes with a soldering iron and a two-pickup blend knob if you have any level of comfort doing that kind of thing. If not, any shop.

El-Bob, madjazzbass and jbd5015 like this.
  11. jbd5015

jbd5015

Nov 23, 2009
    Boalsburg, PA
    Get any p/j that you like to play. replace tone control circuit with a blend.

if you arent handy with a soldering iron and reading wiring schematics, send it to a tech. Shouldnt be more than an hour of labor + parts.

The aguilar p/j set is designed for a blend. I put a set in my p/j custom build and have been quite pleased with them. Not only is the single volume control keepin it simple, the bridge pickup is a split coil, no single coil hum. Incredibly quiet pickups with great tone. Im also a passive fan, and these pickups are in a league above their price.

hopwheels likes this.
  12. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Ok, I gotta say it. This thing gets a TON of love on TB, so imagine how excited I was to see a shiny new one at my local music store. "Oh boy!" I exclaimed. "I get to see for myself what all the fuss is about."

So, I pick up this 1951 kitchen counter puke green (I know because I grew up in a split leve that had this color kitchen. We ripped it out, btw), plug into an amp and tune it up. A little EQ flattening so I can color it later, and I start to play. Hate to do this, but this thing just wasn't impressive. It played ok enough but nothing stellar, and it had a decent setup at the store. The split-coil pickup solo'd sounded well, like a P-bass should. Which is fine. I love me a good P-bass. Where it really got strange was when I solo'd the j pickup. "Oh boy!" I thought. "A solo j-pickup sound, and a solo p-pickup sound available plus everything in between! What a lucky boy I am." Truthfully it's been years since I picked up a real Fender PJ and was curious to play what was allegedly a good example of one.

The J pickup on this thing sounded like...another split coil, except shoved closer to the bridge. It was barky and full of not-really-low mids, but more of the "I'm in a cardboard box" mids around what...maybe 500 hz? The bottom was missing entirely. It really didn't sound like a solo'd j pickup at all. Both pickups mixed together was ok, but not great. And damn it, that color. Why didn't they go with seafoam green? Really, the color isn't that important but it added to the package.

It's important to go into any situation with the right expectations. I think that's what the root of this is. If it was 199.99 Squier or some off brand then I think it would have been tempered by the expectation any realist has regarding a budget instrument. Good mod platform. Price is right and neck is comfy enough. Butt-nasty color (sure, that's subjective), but whatever it's 2 bills plus any mods. However, this thing was what....$799? $899? That's a lot of scratch for this thing, and honestly it was kind of a dog. It just didn't sound good. I'd probably be in it for over a grand by the time it did what I wanted it to do. Why would anyone do that? For that kind of money you could get a great MIA or MIJ Fender AND have some cash left for any mods you want, or perhaps it wouldn't need any. Heck, I can think of a half dozen basses under 1k that do the job way better than this instrument.

Has anyone else run into this? Did I just find one with a bunk J pickup? Maybe it got wired up out of phase by the new guy on the bench? Maybe they're all like this. I've gigged Fender J's and P's for years and was really excited to try this thing out but was a little surprised at how "meh" this specimen was.

13. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Music Man Cutlas is worth a look.

1954bassman likes this.

14. I see where you're coming from, and I don't disagree with everything you said. I was all set to get one but I ended up getting an SB-2 when the opportunity came up, which is more of what I was looking for anyways. To me, and I think a lot of people who ended up buying them, the pluses that you laid out are enough to justify the high price, and if you get a coupon, more than justify that price.

+Fender brand (subjective, I know, but the name adds some resale)
    +Unique color (if you like it, this is a plus)
    +Blocks and bound (see above)
    +Heavyweight bridge
    +Plays very nicely
    +Good platform to mod
    +Good P sound
    +Good blended PJ sound

For me, if I ended up getting it, I'd probably swap out the pickups as well, but I'd survive with it stock until that happened. I wasn't very impressed by the noiseless J either, to me I'd rather have a little noise but better tone. But I guess when a lot of people order instruments by the specs rather than playing them in person, the "Noiseless" stamp will sell better than a generic looking J.

15. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Other than not minding the color, my take exactly. I wanted one until I actually played one.

InhumanResource likes this.
  16. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    That's fair! For me, a mediocre playing and sounding P isn't worth upwards of a grand. We all like what we like.

1954bassman likes this.
  17. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    Lakland has a Skyline PJ model - I think it is called 44-46 Custom, that fits this description.

18. brianmharrison

brianmharrison

Oct 11, 2007
    Atlanta
    Don't most noiseless J pickups sound weird anyway?

19. hopwheels

hopwheels Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Atlanta, GA
    Been thinking about that MiM PJ but decided on a different route. For about $100 more than the Fender Special Edition Deluxe PJ, you can build your own. Then wiring it V/B/T would be easy enough. I just bought everything to do this very thing (though I am leaning V/V/T)...something like this. PJ-Build.jpg
    Dropping in the Aguilar PJ set, mint 2016 Fender US Standard neck w/tuners, CTS Pro Pots and all the rest I would have swapped out on that MiM Deluxe PJ. What kept the price around $1000 was going with a B Hefner unfinished body. It's swamp ash and I'm finishing it in tru oil. So I can have a unique "US" PJ, exactly as I like it, with just a little work.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021