Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for passive PJ 5 string under 2000$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gillento, Mar 13, 2006.

1. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Hi,

I am looking for a passive PJ or P bass for under 2000$. My Fender Roscoe Beck is not "P" enough?
    What could anyone recommend?

2. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I think Mike Lull makes an ash-body, totally passive, one pickup, 5 string P bass. It was reviewed in Bass Player a few months back. Not sure if it comes in under $2,000, though.

You know, $2,000 is a good hunk of change. Why not have someone build you yr dream bass? I'd have a look at Warmoth for parts & ideas then knock on Venetti's door (or the like).

r

3. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    I second the Lull P5 recommendation. I have one, and I can't say enough great things about it. Definitely one of the best bass purchases I've ever made. If you really wanted a PJ, Mike Lull makes them too - I don't think it would add too much more to the price.

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    How much was yr P5?

r

5. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Sorry, I forgot to specify, that I live in Europe.

6. mcdonap

mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
  7. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

If I had that kind of budget, I would have Nino Valenti (www.valentibasses.com) build one for me.

He is well known in the TalkBass community and does outstanding work. For $2000, I'll bet he could build a bass that would be custom-tailored to your exact requirements and I'm sure he would ship it to you in Europe.

You ought to check out his website and drop him a note. (FWIW, he has a 5-string p for sale right now that you can check out by clicking here!) His handle on TB is "Nino Valenti"

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Good idea! I've seen pics of his creations. WOW! When I grow up, I'm ordering a Valenti. I have yet to hear one sour word about the guy or his products.

r

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Lull Passive P5.
    Great bass.
    I owned one, a joy to play.

10. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I have heard good things about the Yamaha BB615.

11. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've heard good thing about the BB615 and believe 'em. However, this guy has a budget of $2,000! Think big!!! ;)

r

12. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

Doesn't mean he has to spend it all!

But for myself, I did think big. I have a Sadowsky NYC P/J 5 on order. :hyper:

13. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah! Nice bass. I had thought of Sadowsky as well when I first came across this thread. However when I think Sadowsky, Jazz bass seems to come to mind though he has PJ equipped basses. That Mike Lull bass I saw reviewed in Bass Player was pure P Bass with just the addition of that low B; nothing more. Quite simple, very elegant, and totally passive. This seemed to nail exactly what gillento is looking for hence my suggestion. However IotaNet's suggestion for a Valenti isn't a bad idea either. I think either choice in this price range, ya can't go wrong. I guess it’s really a matter of who can ship to Europe with the greatest ease.

r

14. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    well, theres also like. stambaugh custom. or other custom companies. who can send you a high quality custom with anything you want for 3-500 bucks under 2 grand. and passive is definitely an option there, of course.

valenti is a VERY strong choice. with a 5 string starting at 1400, and subtracting 75 instantly for passive, you can basically get it for around 1325+ shipping. brand new and excellent, all in one.

thats the place to, in my opinion. when people are comparing the valenti's to sadowsky's, lulls, etc. which are AT LEAST twice the price.. sound like valenti's got it goin on.