Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for pickguard opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have a black MM Stingray w/black pickguard. When I bought it at GC it already had some scratches on the pickguard, as if it was a returned bass or something. I am going to ask GC if they will work with me on getting a replacement pickguard, and I was wondering if anybody had any opinions as to what pickguard would look the best on this bass. I was thinking the white pealoid or white ice. Also - does anybody know how much these cost? I can't seem to find the prices on the EB website.

Thoughts?

Thanks - Skel

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Red tort maybe. Those look nice on black.

3. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    mirror pickguards look sweet on everything, just dont touch em...

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Well, I did find the color options page which indicates the *custom* pickguards MM offers are an extra $50 - not bad. I don't see red tort, or any mirrored ones as options, though. I assume you guys are talking about some place like Pickguard Heaven?

Skel

5. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hm, I do realize that on the site I was probalby thinking of black pearloid.

Then again you can pretty much get any type that you want, they make anything these days,....

6. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Mint on black looks cool.

7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    [​IMG]

8. Red Tort would look good with everything

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Not to hijack... But what looks good on pearl blue? I have pearl blue, matching headstock and a rosewood board with plain black p/g. Looks really boring to me.. I may even get the actuall bass painted a different colour if a P/G won't do it for me.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Let's see...black bass, tort pickguard is my pick. Blue pearl, that's a little tougher. Maybe a black pearloid or a straight white pickguard. Or maybe even just take it off...does it have any routs under the PG that would show up if you took the PG off? But I wouldn't paint it...that's a custom color which will be worth a pretty penny on the collector's market in a few years.

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    White pearl is the universal pickguard - it looks good on almost everything. Tort would look great, too.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My black SR4 went from a black guard to a mirror pickguard. I kept a white one in the case for high class gigs.

14. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Bovinehost - that looks killer!

Skel

15. I think white pearloid on black looks very classy.