Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for RARR - Agressive P/J pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gord, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    Hey guys,
    I just picked up an aerodyne, I'm so happy with this beautiful creation. The only problem is that I'm not happy with a stock bass. I need to operate on all my basses, and I've never looked back. In my precision back home, I have a pair of seymour duncan quarter pounder pickups. I love these things to death, nice boom with just the most rocking sound I've heard. I'm thinking of going the exact same route in the Aerodyne, but adding a quarter pound jazz too. However, I'm wondering if you guys know anything that will make it sound more agressive? Either deeper tone or just more agressive. (Don't you love music terms?) Any ideas would be great

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Dimarzio P/J set are agressive as well, maybe slightly better defined sounding than the QP's IME

3. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    What do you mean by defined? I can't see the word and not think EMG, I don't know why, emgs seem very clear and definetally not my taste, but I'll take a look at Dimarzio P/Js!

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    by defined I mean less woolly in the mids, that's been my impression of the DM's vs the QP's

5. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    haha there's those musician terms again. Wolly? haha somehow I undstand though. I wish there was an easy way to see how pickups sound in your own bass :bawl:

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1. IMO DiMarzio's Model-P and Model-J pickups are the ticket for an agressive-tone from a passive pickup. YMMV.

-Art

7. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    are there any basses that come stock with that set? I'd like to go give them a try

8. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    or actually, does anyone have sound clips? :hyper:

9. There is a way. It's called 'ferrofluid'. It's a low viscosity fluid that has ferrous particles suspended in it. When you place this fluid into a magnetic field, it reacts by forming spikes along the magnetic field lines.

http://www.dansdata.com/magnets.htm#ff

I'm starting to use this stuff to model and adjust the magnetic fields in pickups I'm designing and winding/rewinding.

10. That sounds very interesting, i'd like to know more about how you apply this to pickup winding and their sound.

11. I use it to measure relative differences in the strength of magnetic fields and their *shape*. Since this stuff is a fluid it also dynamically reflects changes in the magnetic field as the field is manipulated. Either by using passive pickups, active pickups and when strings are plucked. You can also see the shape and strength of the field in relation to the strings both in motion and at rest.

I'm still in the pre-lim stages with this as Hambone has graciously made a testbed bass for me to do a lot more modeling. I'm going to do a lot of playing around with pickup design, winding/rewinding and the placement of the pickups. I can also see where pickups might interfere with one another as their fields collide and then see how that impacts/doesn't impact their performance.

It's a VERY useful tool.

To use it just get a bottle and dump it into a clear large flat bottomed tupperware/plastic container. A glass container would be better IMHO, but plastic cheap and light. Then hold it above the pickups on a bass and then have fun.

here's a source: https://www.teachersource.com/catalog/index.html

12. Thanks for the info, if I have the time I might try it out, but i will have to find some supplier in germany (or europe)

13. On my, pretty long, list of things to do is get a video camera and film this stuff for my library for comparison purposes.

14. I totally agree with the choice of the Dimarzio's. I've been using the Will Power Middle P pup for a couple of years and it really has a lot of agression & punch for a passive pup. Im fitting a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz bridge pup next week once I've routed out a place for it in my Yamaha.

15. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    do you have any recordings? :D

16. Listen to anything by Billy Sheehan, the dimarzio's were originally designed for him and are used in the Attitude basses.