1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for Rat clone that can clean up

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by liveburning274, Mar 21, 2017.

1. liveburning274

liveburning274 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    I've had a Rat Tail for a bit and loved what I can get from that pedal. Ryan really did excellent work on that thing. But the tone of that was just a bit to drudgy and doomy for me. I almost want a little cleaner of a Rat than that. I really loved this circuit and just looking for a little cleaner, tighter flavor of it.

Does the MXR Bass Distortion do this or the Blower Box? I'd like to get some suggestions that can work for bass.

rratajski likes this.
  2. liveburning274

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    No body eh? I SEE THAT 44 OF YOU THAT JUST WALK IN AND LEFT NOTHING. I SEE YOU!!! ;)

SunnBass, Tourniquet Man and Brio like this.
  3. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I don't know my rats too well but the best dirt pedal I have tried for cleaning up is the VHT V Drive. It can be used with the clipping bypassed as an actual boost and also has 10 clipping modes most of which can be cleaned up pretty damn well with the controls. I bet it could nail a RAT tone pretty well as it's very versatile. Here is a great thread:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/vht-v-drive-clipping-configurations.329299/

You can find all the clipping modes listed there as well as comparisons with a ton of Boss dirt pedals showing how to set the controls for similiar tones.

4. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    MXR M85 Bass Distortion will clean up with wet/dry, but I don't know about tighter. Source Audio After Shock Bass El Raton setting would be good.

rratajski and Sunset Shalom like this.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The Blower Box amazes me for a number of reasons, one being that it can go from barely-there to mushroom cloud. That's true with my hot active basses as well as my passives. I enjoy higher-gain rock tones from the BB, but also frequently use it for low gain sparkle. Heck, just last night I rehearsing a jazz lesson with my alder/Brazilian Sadowsky P5 (active) strung with TI flats, and dialed in a warm/phat gently overdriven tone from the BB. It required some treble cut on the BB along with some treble cut from the passive tone control on the Sadowsky (neither all the way off), but I was happy.

RockDoc, zapped777, Matt Dean and 2 others like this.
  6. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Volt Thrower with no diode selected in the clipping modes. Fits your description to a T. I mean VT.

Impermanence and Matt Dean like this.
  7. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Example:

8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Have you rolled the distortion and both clipping knobs back and placed the diode toggle to center (no diodes)? That's as clean as a RAT clone can generally get sans a clean blend, which the MXR BD has on tap.
    A @dunwichamps Volt Thrower has a 36V charge pump for more headroom that would clean up/tighten up nicely.

9. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    SA Aftershock can be customized all you want. You can set how much blend the blend knob dials in as well as a number of eq settings via the Neuro app and I feel like it does a pretty good Rat clone.

I don't know what MXR does but with their dirt (tried the distortion and the el grande fuzz) I always feel like its 2 distinct signals on top of each other, like your clean sound is doubled and processed instead of an integrated effect. Some love it, I've never been a fan.

I was also impressed with mooer's Black Secret but its been a minute since I had one. I seem to recall it having a pretty usable filter knob that was more usuable than a standard tone knob on most dirts.

10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Blower Box can do great low gain tones, but not as clean and clear as that Volt Thrower clip with the diodes switched out.

I've always disregarded the VT as I've only heard high gain clips which sounded awful, but that clip was nice.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Cleaner and tighter? Why get a Rat if that's what you want? :D

zapped777 likes this.
  12. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    There!:

800px-Banksy_Broom_Rat_New_Orleans.jpg

Enjoy :D

Matt Dean likes this.
  13. liveburning274

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Thanks guys! I'll investigate the MXR and BB. I have listened to the clips of both and am leaning towards the MXR, but I keep hearing rave reviews on BB. Anybody got any extra thoughts to push me either way?

rratajski likes this.
  14. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    Blower Box -- what Fuzzbass (Ken) said above!

15. I think Ryan will put a blend knob on a new pedal for an up charge, maybe ask about adding one to your pedal? Even when used sparingly, I find them to be really useful.

rratajski likes this.
  16. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    If distortion is to much, explore Overdrive (OD). OD pedals can dial in a little rat hair, to a lot of rat hair without the full clipping of distortion. Thus, the OD is much more diverse in the type of hair that can be shaped (Styled).

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I made kind of a jokey post earlier, but really, I was able to make some pretty mellow overdrive tones with my MXR Bass Distortion and don't see why it couldn't be done with the Rat Tail, too. These days I use it for heavy tones mostly, but while it never quite loses its juicy midrange Rat thang, it does clean up.

Frank_Raider and rratajski like this.
  18. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    It's true!

19. liveburning274

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    JimmyM and rratajski like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021