Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for really good rackmount.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TribalisticBass, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Looking for a professional rack mounted effect processor, that can track the octave effects really well. Also really clean/fluid chorus, smooth phase, some good reverb/delays. A few other effects would be nice. I have only played one of these things like ten years ago, a peavy something or other. It was O.K. I think that they will probably have better stuff out now, by better people? so hit me up. let me in on what's goin' down. thanks for the info.
    PS: Spending $500-$750 will buy used if possible. Love that ebay.
    EDIT: mostly for live stuff, some studio, plenty of user settings need aply.

2. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I bought a BOSS VF-1 rackmounted effects processor ( 1/2 width) on eBay about 3 months ago for about $275. It's a fantastic unit as it allows me to not only plug in my bass, but also a lead guitar, acoustic guitar, keyboard, and even a microphone for vocorder effects. The unit has 200 presets, 200 customizable banks, tuner, and a ton of other features.

The VF-1 has gotten a lot of good press....do a search for "BOSS VF-1" and you'll see all the positive staments made about this little baby.

Here's a link to BOSS' site

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/VF-1/

3. I read a couple of places where the vf-1 was said to be noisey? What do they mean by noisey? I also read about the Bass PODxt Pro heard alot of good things. Price of the POD is at the top of my price range, the VF-1 is more affordable. I don't really need amp/cab modeling either. Could anyone clear up the VF-1 noise issue for me? Also how well does the VF-1 track using the octave function?

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Noisey??? :eyebrow:

The VF-1 is a 24 bit processor!!! (pure, clean effects).I don't have any issues with noise, but this thing has a ton of control on how you shape sounds...you just can't plug it in, start playing, and expect all 200 presets to sound great. The good thing is that it's very intuitive to customize and then you can save it as a user-defined patch. Maybe what you've heard is from someone who hasn't really sat down and tweaked.

To your next question......if I remember correctly, I think there are 3 separate octave presets built in. I haven't played them much, but again, customization is the VF-1's strong suit. The pro players that use this is a vertitable whose who of bassdom

5. Well that good enough for me. I saw a few of these on ebay, I guess I'll try to pick one of these things up. Def cheaper than the POD.
    Are there any outs for pedal style real-time control? That would be great. I like the idea of real time control for live applications. I think that could be my last Q? Thanks for the help GSPL.

6. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, there's a midi out for footswitch control...any midi switch will do, but they recommend the FC-200

7. Thanks for all the help. Can't wait to try one of these things. I Will look to see if my local shop has one, just to try it out w/my bass. Will buy from ebay though. Thanks again. :bassist:

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    SURE..no problem, good luck and have fun!