Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for Sacramento area Luthier to learn from.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Josh Curry, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I am hoping to find a Luthier in the Sacramento area who would be interested in letting me learn from them. I can't afford one of those expensive 10 week apprenticeships, nor would my job allow me to take that much time off.

Basically, I am willing to do grunt work (sanding, drilling, glueing, planing, etc...) for the privelege of working with someone highly skilled and learning from their experience. I'm sure that I could waste a lot of time learning from trial and error but I would rather learn from someone who is experienced.

I have most of the tools to do this myself as well as read several books on the subject. I've even started making the body of a bass of my own design, so, It's not like you'll be trying to teach someone who's never used a drill before.

I do already own and know how to use a table saw, band saw, jig saw, drill press, plunge router, bench sander (disc + belt), random orbit sander, and a few other odds and ends. I also own a very expensive Nielson Toolworks low angle plane that has been sitting in the box for 6 months (shameful, I know)

Is my request a reasonable one or am I kidding myself?

Edit: Let me also add that I am a software developer by trade. So if you need software writtin, or computer help, or website work, I can do that for you also.

2. A couple of yrs ago I saw Michael Manring & a real cool Italian mostly touchstyle guitarist- his name escapes me- in Davis, & there was a guy behind me talking luthiery. His name was Aron(1 A) Bach, & was in Sacramento. You might search this guy out- he was pretty young(compared to me,38 @ the time) & I assume new to the game but that was awhile back.

3. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    As far as specific bass builders around the area, Ken Bebense is the only one I know of. You wont have any luck there as he is starting up his own 10 week course. For acoustic guitar builders there are a ton in the area, some of the best in fact. You'll find most of them have small shops and busy schedules, not really looking to have anyone else work on their gutiars or take up space. If you have any specific questions I can help you out, but I don't have a lot of extra room around my shop and my schedule can be irratic.

4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I did see the thing about his course. Looks awesome, but I would be out of house and home if I went :(

I didn't want to ask you again because I know I flaked out on you before, sorry about that. My schedule varies too. Hence why someone more local would be preferred.

5. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    The only guy I can think of actually IN Sac is Arnie Gamble - http://www.arniegamble.com/

You might want to talk to the guys at Guitar Workshop on J. I know one of the guys that used to work there was a schooled builder, they might know of some other builders directly in Sac.

6. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I have thought of contacting them. I've bought some stuff there before, and I've heard good things about their work. I've found several other luthiers in the area, including the one you mentioned, the only problem is that all of them seem to do acoustic instruments. I can't seem to find any that do solid body work. Not that there's anything wrong with acoustic instruments, but the construction techniques are completely different. I know that I could learn from someone like that, but most of it wouldn't be relevant. or am I completely off base?

7. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    I used to live in folsom, and I learned alot of the basics from the folks at Nicholson Music Co. However its been quite a while, I dont think they actually make their own instruments there, more like just repairs and customizing and what not, but I bet they could at least recommend someone in the area that might be able to help out. its worth a shot...(916) 983-0763 is the most recent number that I have for them but that is probably at least 5-6 years old.