Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for set up person in Philly area

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by godoze, Jan 27, 2003.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    anyone know any good set up people in the philly area ? If so, names and numbers would be appreciated...

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    From (All Hail) Bob Gollihur's Luthier directory in the Newbie Links:

PA, Conshohocken (Philadelphia area) Paul Klinefelter, 610-941-4693, tklinefelter@earthlink.net
    Set-up, minor repairs and sales of basses by German maker Michael Glass.

PA, Elizabethtown, Mike Shank, Shank's Strings, 717-361-0511, 800-613-2277, shankstrings.com • shankstrings@earthlink.net
    repairs basses and other violin family instruments, sells all

PA, Pittsburgh, Wallace Bass Shop, 412-734-1307, joebruwall123@msn.com
    Buy, sell, repair, and trade, upright bass only

PA, Sciota, Robert Tice, Luthier; 570-992-5695 luthier@enter.net
    Restores and repairs upright basses and all other stringed instruments

PA, Williamsport, J.R. Judd Violins, 570-321-8070, info@jrjuddviolins.com • jrjuddviolins.com/
    Repairs, restorations, new and used basses, accessories

PA, York, (717) 854-9064, bluettbros-violins.com
    Repairs, rehairs, new and used instruments

3. I don't know anyone who's used Paul Klinefelter, so I can't comment on him. There aren't any real bass guys around Philly. Harold Golden is in Chestnut Hill, but I don't know how much bass work he does. He cut a soundpost for me once for my first super-POS plywood. That was 12 or 13 years ago. I knew nothing then and I can't comment. He used to do strings instr. repairs for Zapf's.
    www.goldenviolins.com

I recently discovered Fred Oster's shop at 15th and Pine in Center City. A student of mine bought a bass there. Fred told me they do set up work for Robertson & Sons of New Mexico (where Hatchez makes basses) when they ship one out here. I can't vouch for their work either, but my student got a great deal on a mid 19th century Tyrolean. The set up was decent. www.fredoster.com

Bob Riccardi is in Pennsauken, NJ. He can be ok depending on what you need or what kind of bass you're having work done on. He's listed on Bob G's luthier's directory, I don't know his number offhand.

Most of the bassists I know around here use luthiers in New York.

4. Mike's great, but he's further from Philly, and Souderton, than Manhatten.

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i think he's more towards Harrisburg ?

Maybe I should go to NY ? That's not a bad trip for me.

6. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    You will get great service, great respect, and great work at Shank's. You will not be disappointed!

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I've looked at Shank's website...

Who do you guys use in the NY area ?