Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for sheet Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Joe Taylor, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Where does one find bass scores for classical music. I want to start going over some hard stuff and working up some auditon pieces. I can find the scores but have not found individual parts for sale.

Also, I trying to start a community string ensamble, can you say up hill all the way, do any of you have any recommendations for a string group from 8 to ten players.

Looks like I get (?) to play the cello parts on my bass and it's a real workout.

Joe

2. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Joe:

I feel like the master of the obvious here, but have you checked out Lemur Music.

http:www.lemurmusic.com

They have a huge library of classical scores. Trios, chamber, larger ensembles, etc.

If you have a group of bassists that you are playing with, might I suggest some of the scores by Peter Hansen of the Outer Bass Ensemble. Great stuff.

Also, Norman Ludwin has some very good scores available

3. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Thanks for the links.

Perhaps I don't know what I am looking at when I see a entry in a catalog. I have found a ton of music sites.

What I have not seen advertised is something like "The Bass Part Beethoven’s 5th." etc.

The other part what I should have said is that I'm looking for some recomendations for particular numbers for the group to play.

Thanks again Joe

4. That's exactly what Patelson's will give you, and it's why I recommended calling them.

For instance, they can give you the Zimmerman fingerings of Beethoven's 9th.

5. dcardon

dcardon

Jan 31, 2002
    New York, NY
    Are you looking for bass ensemble music or chamber music with bass? I am one of the owners of Discordia Music (www.discordia-music.com), and we have two bass quartets - one is a new-ish piece (1998) by Bjorn Berkhout, and the other is a nice, fun work by Dan Armstrong called Wildebeests and Warthogs, which follows in the tradition of "B.B. Wolf". It has been performed, with great success, by four members of the Chicago Symphony at several venues in the Chicago area. There are two versions: the original, which requires a C-tuning [high C-G-D-A] Bass I, and a version with all basses in the same tuning. The first and second bass parts are quite challenging. The Berkhout is not particularly difficult to play, but can be hard to put together without a conductor. We include an extra score, just in case.

If you're looking for chamber music with bass, the Dvorak Quintet, Schubert Octet, Prokovieff Quintet, and Beethoven Octet are all nice, challenging pieces that are widely available.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you're not after anything in particular, "Double Bassist" magazine has some good scores - usually in the middle pages so you can pull them out. You can order back issues on their website and get a sample. I liked the ones I've seen, but even if you don't like them, the magazine is a great read! ;)

You have the advantage that all the scores are written with a Double Bass player in mind and could be used as audition pieces. If you look at say, parts for a symphony, then you are going to get a lot of rests! ;)

7. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Thanks for all the info you all are great. I just orderd some stuff form Patelson's.

Joe