Looking for simple pedal - 2-channel gain only switching...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Geri O, Jun 10, 2021 at 10:42 AM.

1. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    That title isn't very clear, so I'll explain further.

Can anyone recommend a pedal that has two channels that are switchable and with gain controls only? Or as close as one can suggest? Between my REDDI Tube DI and the wonderful WD-800 amplifier, I have plenty of tone control. So good transparency would be a big consideration.

The goal is to use two basses with one wireless bass system and switch between the two basses because of the difference in the output of each.

Thanx!

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Southampton Pedals All Things Equal. I use the first version of it for exactly what you want.

saltydude, bassbrad and Geri O like this.
  3. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    I used a Boss LS-2 exactly for this purpose, with 3 basses of different gain.

4. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Actually, I’ve described my needs all wrong.

I have one output, the output of my wireless receiver. I guess I just need a single channel simple gain boost that can be bypassed when I’m playing the bass with the higher gain. No overdrive needed at all.

Seems I need more coffee!…:D

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Just a simple clean boost like a TC Spark Mini?

6. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Yes, that looks perfect!

jdh3000 likes this.
  7. Could just use a simple EQ pedal as well maybe?

8. Jebberz

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Again, I did exactly the same with the boss LS-2, If you only plug the input and the output, the loops are pluged together internally. So in A-B mode, it will give you 2 different gains for the same input (or 3, in A-B-Bypass mode)

9. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. I was going to direct you to the Radial BigShot i/o. But now it seems you just need a boost pedal. May I suggest it be the cleanest one you can find.

Suhr makes excellent boost pedals. Their ISO Boost is discontinued, but their Dual Boost is in print.

Geri O likes this.
  10. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    +1 TC Spark Mini

Geri O likes this.
  11. I didn't know that the LS-2 could do that, and I've had mine for years... :rollno:
    Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup:

jdh3000 likes this.
  12. Jebberz

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    You're welcome.

LS-2 is one of the most usefull pedal I had, in terms of utility. My guitar player uses his to send his guitar to different channel of his Amp, and I also used it to blend 2 pickups to test a "Rick-o-Sound" kinda set-up (P pickup clean, J pickup thropugh Overdrive). Worked well up to the day I got a wireless...

Wito, Geri O and yodedude2 like this.
  13. Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I have a TC Mini-Spark arriving today.

I ordered one Thursday just to try. Then, at a gig Friday night, it turns out one of the guitar players has had one on his pedal board all this time. So I was able to set it up in my signal to see how the arrangement would work.

It is perfect!

It gives the bass with lesser output a nice level boost with no change in tone that I can detect. And in bypass mode, the active bass sounds exactly as it’s supposed to, no change in tone. To my old ears, anyway.

And it figures…I need two of them. One to go on my pedalboard with my tuner and my REDDI DI and one to stay in my bag when I don’t take the REDDI pedalboard out.

Hopefully, this will work out. Based on my initial try, my hopes are high.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021